First Test to Full Test?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi WHT HI-FI Team,

Having been an avid reader for a good few years now, I've got a few points I'd like to raise about the magazine please:

1. Apologies if this has been raised before, but I was wondering what the differences are if at all between the first tests you do and a full test? I've noticed that from when a review is first published in the mag to when it hits this website nothing seems to change so wondered whether the first test is the only test? Also I was slightly disappointed by the depth of your review on the new Sony 46"HX903 - this was because I have ordered this set and so was really looking forward to an in depth review of the TV's performance, not the 1 page it got. I know the next issue out will have new features but have you considered expanding reviews to cover more detail once they have had an initial brief first test.

2. As TV's are now becoming ever more complicated and it seems set up and calibration of settings is critical to getting the right performance from your TV, have you considered publishing the settings that you set the TV up with when it was tested, I think this would help alot of us when we get our new TV's as a least we will have some guidance to use when tweaking.

Please accept this in the spirit its written which is some feedback which as a reader I feel will improve the quality of an already fantastic magazine.

Thank You,

Peter

A

Anonymous

I too am in the process of trying to order this TV (I'm trying to find the best price) and too would like to know the setting to use as to extract the best out of the TV, and would love to see a reply from WHF.

Regards Jst23

A

Anonymous

I think it would be a great idea as well. Even it was just to know if changes were made to some of the deeper white balance/gamma settings, or do they just adjust brightness, contrast etc and play anoround with motion settings? I know what works for one set up may not work for another but it would be quite useful to know just how far you have to go for an improved or optimal picture. Even if it was something that was added as a 'by the way' on the bottom of the internet review.

D

Deleted member 2457

Andy Grange:Printing the base settings used for each TV would be an excellent idea, and one I'm sure many readers would appreciate. Any thoughts WHF?

Starting with the panasonic 50v20 in the next issue would be
emotion-11.gif

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Thanks guy's, appreciate the feedback and that you think this would be useful also, I had given up hope anyone from the magazine responding.

This is even more relevant for me now as my new 46"HX903 has arrived so my need to get the best out of this TV, and use the settings the testers at the mag used to give it, its 5 star rating.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, missed this one - we are not omnipresent, and we have answered both of these questions on many previous occasions. But i'm happy to do so again! (And i'm sorry our Forum search didn't find earlier answers).

ukpcum1:

1. I was wondering what the
differences are if at all between the first tests you do and a full
test? I've noticed that from when a review is first published in the
mag to when it hits this website nothing seems to change so wondered
whether the first test is the only test? Also I was slightly
disappointed by the depth of your review on the new Sony 46"HX903 -
this was because I have ordered this set and so was really looking
forward to an in depth review of the TV's performance, not the 1 page
it got. I know the next issue out will have new features but have you
considered expanding reviews to cover more detail once they have had an
initial brief first test.

The first test is exactly what it says - the first time we've had the product in our test rooms. All first tests are comparative - they go up against current class leaders plus any other suitable rivals we have in for test at the same time; nothing is reviewed in isolation.

What's posted on the website is usually the same copy as appeared in the magazine, and will go up on the site several weeks after the issue goes on sale. Sometime - usually if it's a web exclusive - we'll post a longer review, if resources allow. It's worth noting that this is merely a restriction on writing time - we'd rather max the test time than the writing time.

After a First Test, key products will go into a Group Test or Supertest, where you will - especially in our new magazine format - get even more insight into how a product performs, with more direct mentions of the other rivals in the larger test. You'll also get more tech specs, set-up advice etc. More info here if you haven't seen the latest issue yet.

ukpcum1:

As TV's are now becoming ever more complicated and it seems set up and
calibration of settings is critical to getting the right performance
from your TV, have you considered publishing the settings that you set
the TV up with when it was tested, I think this would help alot of us
when we get our new TV's as a least we will have some guidance to use
when tweaking.

In our opinion - and experience - it's pointless posting our settings, as they will have little or no relation to an indivdual's unique room lighting (and indeed personal preferences).

We also test in a range of conditions - from bright room to total darkness - and adjust the settings accordingly to get the very best from each TV, and judge how it performs in those situations. So which set of settings would we publish?

We have long recommended that the THX Optimiser is a great - and free - starting point for setting up your TV. This video talks you through some basic tweaks, and there's more in this blog.

Incidentally, we gave away THX glasses in our November issue last year, and are looking at repeating the offer sometime soon. I'll update you all on that if/when.

Beyond basic THX set-up, other discs such as DVE can help refine things further, as can Spyder calibration, plus professional ISF Calibration where available (and affordable).

Hope this helps - any other questions, please ask and we'll endeavour to answer!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts