First system - advice needed :)

andydust

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
Hey hey,

As a hi-fi newbie I thought I'd get some advice. I'm looking to create my first system involving a pair of bookshelf speakers, integrated amp and a single cd player. The system is for a bedroom (floor plan below post [ http://www.andrewdust.com/room.png ] ) and my budget is around £1000.

After doing some reading and research I've come up with this potential setup:

Speakers: Epos M12i | Amp: Marantz PM7001 | CD Player: Marantz CD6002

I also considered B&W 685 speakers and Rotel RA-04 amp.

What do you guys think? Any blatant problems, better suggestions, etc. Should I be spending more or less money on one particular component at the expense of another? Other than speaker cables and stands, are there any other vital accessories I will need to purchase?

Merry Christmas,

Andy.

room.png

t

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Looks good. Are you planning on putting the speakers on the 12.9ft wall and then maybe a chair at the end/side of the bed?

I would budget around £40ish for speaker cable (something like the QED Silver anniversary or the Chord Carnival Silverscreen), and probably £40 for the interconnect between the CD and the Amp. (again probably the Chord Crimson).

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Rotel RA-04

Marantz CD 6002

Dali Lektor 1

Amazing sound for not much money. The Dali Lektor 1 is such an amazing speaker. Best budget speakers I have ever heard in my life.

andydust

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far !

fatboyslimfast: Are you planning on putting the speakers on the 12.9ft wall and then maybe a chair at the end/side of the bed?

Yep, that's exactly right :)

Terryff:Sorry if this is a little off topic Andy, what software did you use to create that picture?

I used SmartDraw ( http://www.smartdraw.com ).

I will look into the items that have been suggested so far; keep the replies coming ! :)

Merry Christmas,

Andy.

A

Anonymous

Superfi are selling new Audiolab 8000S amps for £293 which is excellent value. This amp will also give you a cheap entry into the mad mad world of amplification upgrade paths which will help hoover up the contents of you wallet for many years to come.

I think you have to hear speakers for yourself but Its amazing how good £150 speakers can sound if you have never experienced hi fi separates before.

You could consider the Arcam CD17 CD player which I have not heard but should be worth a listen (I've had a lot of Arcam and Audiolab kit and have always found them to be good quality) it's about £500. So with the Audiolab you would have £200 for speakers and stands which is just about "do-able". You can mess around with cable upgrades later (ask the dealer for a discount on your first cables). One of the nice things about putting systems together is doing one upgrade at a time.

I'm old fashioned and think putting most of your money towards the source is the way to go, but many now think you should go 30/30/30 with the balance on bits and bobs.

Just a thought.

A

Anonymous

I would have to say pick the speakers you want - either the Epos, B&W or Dali are equally as good in their own ways. Then as dslaing said, try looking on Superfi's website for the Audiolab 8000S which is a formidable amplifier for the money; a truly ledgendary piece of electronic for a truly ledgendary price. As for a CD player, I think your suggestion is good, but you could improve upon it by looking at the discounted (because it has just been disconned and replaced with the equally as good but more expensive Arcam CD17) Arcam CD73T CD player which is what I have and I really have no intentions of upgrading it any time soon even if the rest of my system is way more expensive! Hook it all together with my usual suggestion, QED wire, and you'll have a cracker of a system!

Word of warning. Don't put the right-hand speaker too far to the right so that it is past the opposite wall because you will wreck the soundstage.

matthewpiano

CD73 is now long in the tooth. A good CD player but there are better ones around. I'd suggest trying a Rega Apollo (second hand perhaps?) or a Denon DCD1500AE. Both are in a different league to the Arcam with a cleaner, more detailed, and more musically inspiring sound.

matthewpiano

Oh, and the Epos M12s are altogether better than the B&W 685s IMO. More convincing overall with much better balance across the frequency range and much tauter, more tuneful bass.

As always though, auditioning with your own ears is the only way forward.

andydust

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
Hey,

Thanks again for the replies. After some thought I think I will perhaps go with the marantz PM6002 rather than the 7001, in order to make sure I have enough in my budget for good accessories but then also getting an arcam cd73 at £300 instead of the CD6002.

Would the arcam cd player be a good match with the maranzt amp?

Theres a fair difference in price between the Dali Lektor 1s and the Epos M12is. I was also thinking of perhaps switching the the less expensive Dali's and then perhaps pairing the Arcam CD73 with an Audiolab 8000s?

Cheers again,

Andy.

andydust

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
Hey everyone!

Again thank you for your replies. In the end I purchased:

Marantz CD6002, Rotel RA06 Amp, B&W 685 speakers

Very happy so far :)

Cheers,

Andy.

A

Anonymous

Nice one Andy. I was about to recommend the Rotel RA04 (or upwards) as I think it's more involving and natural than the Audiolab. Excellent choices, hope you enjoy them. Also, don't underestimate the importance of a decent i/c and speaker wire. All about bandwidth and colourising the sound to suit your taste.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
andydust:
Hey everyone!

ÿAgain thank you for your replies. In the end I purchased:

Marantz CD6002, Rotel RA06 Amp, B&W 685 speakers

ÿVery happy so far :)

Cheers,

Andy.

ÿ

Congrats with the purchase! I bought the 685's too this week. How do they sound with the Rotel amp? I use mine with a Marantz receiver and I like what I hear so far. Did you audition these speakers with a Marantz amp too? I'd like to know how they compare with Rotel amplification. Everybody seems to recommend Rotel with B&W's.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts