First surround sound set up: which Panasonic?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Panasonic TX32LXD70 TV (couple of years old now) which I use mostly via a BT Vision PVR..Picture seems good to me but sound quality is not as good as my old 26" Sony CRT beast to my ears!

To keep things simple I'd like to say with Panasonic for the Viera link ease of use - but which system? The write up on the SC-BT200 is tempting, although I doubt I'll use Blu-Ray that much as we watch few DVDs as it is. What about the DVD based PT870 or PT570?

Final consideration is fitting into an existing lounge (approx 6 * 5 m, but TV placed diagonally in corner of room). I'm tempted by the idea of wireless speakers (which will avoid me all sorts of grief both logistical and marital) but the write ups on these seem patchy to say the least. Panasonic offer the SH-FX70 wireless add-on - is this any good?

Help please - it's all getting very confusing to a newbie and there seem few places where one can go and listen to this stuff in a decent environment.

Many thanks....

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi, welcome to the forums!

Well, from your suggestions, I'm guessing your budget can stretch to the likes of £500 - £550 if you're considering the SC-BT200 - is that right?

One thing I'll also say at this point is Panasonic are not known for great home cinema systems - that trend has started to turn a little over the last year or so (with the likes of the SC-BT200 and the SC-PT860), but if I were you, I'd really consider looking at other makes.

Also, are you looking for a full 5.1 surround system or would 2.1 be more suitable given you don't watch many DVDs? This also fits in with the point you make about wireless systems - at your budget, wireless is an expensive luxury since a fair amount of the money is going on making the system transfer audio without wires rather than on making it sound good - a wired solution at the same price is therefore always going to give you a better sound. It may well be though, with a 2.1 system, you wouldn't need wireless, so this takes this out of the equation.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Proffesor, I was a bit worried about the quailty issue, so perhaps the carpet will need to come up after all...

You mention other makes: a few suggestions on where to start looking would be welcomed. You are correct on budget, although I could stretch a little higher than this (say £1k all in) if I'm getting some future flexibility should the bug bite.

Ta muchly

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, I'm still a bit confused really - you say you don't watch many DVDs, so is this system mainly for standard TV watching? Is it a case you want a 5.1 system for those DVDs you do watch? Speaker wise, do you need to have smaller style speakers, or would you be happy with some larger, more traditional boxier speakers, if only for the front speakers? For this and for future flexibility, at your budget, it could be best for you to get a separates system - is this something you would consider or are you only considering an all-in-one box?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts