First setup for newbie in S.A

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi to all you guys

Contrary to what a lot off people believe we have water and electricity ( well sometimes) here in South Africa which means we also have home cinema which why i need the expert advise from you guys and gals.Obviously it is done with a budget constrait since the might Rand hasnt been mighty since i think the 60' or 70' I wasnt around yet hence the following component choices!lol

As this will be my first setup any advise is welcome,so down to the nitty gritty

For my reciever I'm gonna be getting the Onkyo 606 obviously pending a review from What Hifi but i'm confident it won't suck.

Bluray player - PS3

CD Player - NAD C515BEE or Marantz CD5001

Speakers - Mission M3i Cinema or Monitor Audio Bronze B2 Av or Tannoy Mercury F1 custom

Tv - Any 32 / 37" lcd that does 1080p 24fps and that wont cost an arm and leg currently looking at the Sharp 32" - viewing distance is only 2-3 meters.600 to 700 pounds or R8000 to R9500 more or less

Cables - have no idea totaly noob

System will also be used for music,will it be good for about 3 -5 years or so? Any thoughts, advice,expertise is highly valued,completly open to suggestions

Thanks
emotion-2.gif

Oh ps any idea if the what hifi buyers edition will be available in S.A ?

A

Anonymous

Any ideas ? I know it's bit lenghty but I want to make the correct choices

A

Anonymous

go for a panasonic tx37px80 37" plasma (not 1080p full hd) for about £600 it will outclass any of the full hd lcd screens you mention. I have just bought one and am totally impressed, people are full of praise for it on these forums.

You dont really need full hd at 37" or below

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply guys,must say it making my choices easier

As for the Telly unfortunately we dont have the tx37px80 plasma here in S.A what are your thoughts on the Sharp Aquos LC32X20E ?Any other good ones you can think of and excuse my noobness here but why isnt 1080p so important on the smaller size screens and how will not having 24fps affect watching bluray etc?

As for the speakers thinks it's gonna be the monitor audio br's what cables would you suggest ?

Thanks again guys

A

Anonymous

Any suggestions bout the sharp telly and is the cd player ok ? Any of the whathifi staff care to comment
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi Captn. Sharp! Sharp! I have the 46" 100hz version of the Sharp and am very pleased with it, contrary to the somewhat sniffy reviews one sees in certain publications. I got a great deal on the Acquos Blu Ray, Panel and stand and it all looks and performs beautifully. I suspect though, that this won't be available in SA. Your problem is two-fold. Firstly in SA everything that's considered remotely a 'luxury' product is obscenely over-priced (after all SA's one of the few places where 4:3 CRTs are still available!). In terms of TV, the SABC's unlikely to provide you with a 16:9 pic any time soon, MNET will reluctantly give you bit of sport here and there and FORGET Telkom's pay-tv service!! And as for HD...... Don't hold your breath. So, your input's gonna be disc-based only and I asume you're importing them given the price of regular DVD's at C&A!
I'd go for a recognisable international brand that has a service set-up in SA and buy it from a good retailer with solid after-sales service.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Casca"]Hi Captn. Sharp! Sharp! I have the 46" 100hz version of the Sharp and am very pleased with it, contrary to the somewhat sniffy reviews one sees in certain publications. I got a great deal on the Acquos Blu Ray, Panel and stand and it all looks and performs beautifully. I suspect though, that this won't be available in SA. Your problem is two-fold. Firstly in SA everything that's considered remotely a 'luxury' product is obscenely over-priced (after all SA's one of the few places where 4:3 CRTs are still available!). In terms of TV, the SABC's unlikely to provide you with a 16:9 pic any time soon, MNET will reluctantly give you bit of sport here and there and FORGET Telkom's pay-tv service!! And as for HD...... Don't hold your breath. So, your input's gonna be disc-based only and I asume you're importing them given the price of regular DVD's at C&A!
I'd go for a recognisable international brand that has a service set-up in SA and buy it from a good retailer with solid after-sales service.[/quote]

Mmm sounds like you know SA!lol Yeah almost all of the channels sucks and we are a bit behind with certain things,as for dvd price they are pretty cheap,blu ray is the expensive ones and hard to find.Definately gonna give the sharp a serious look,thanks for the help man.

Sorry to bump or sound anyoing but do any of the whathifi gurus care to comment on my suggested setup,example sounds like a good first setup or you are out off your tree there a better setups!lol
emotion-4.gif

TRENDING THREADS