First Post! Building 1st Blue Ray Home Cinema on a Budget

testpilot4321

May 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm not new to the world of home cinema but since my divorce 5 years ago been out of the loop and listening to a basic 2 channel Teac system (with my Chario's though).

Anyway I have now moved, have a larger lounge but it is a flat so can't go over the top. I am on a serious budget to get this started so have been shopping about and need your views and comments on my shortlist. I already have a 37" LCD from Novatech that I paid £200 for and am extremely happy with, apparently it has LG components inside.

Sony BDP-S350 Blu-Ray - Already purchased as ex demo for £110.00

Sony STR-DG820 Receiver - sounds like it does everything i need and well, have found them new online for £232 Delivered.

Audica CS Series System 2 AV 5.1 Speaker System - Great reviews and they look very stylish which is important to me too, found these new for £419 Delivered.

Oh and Sky HD has now been ordered too :D

I look forward to your comments and becoming active on these forums.

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
testpilot4321:

I'm not new to the world of home cinema but since my divorce 5 years ago been out of the loop and listening to a basic 2 channel Teac system (with my Chario's though).

Anyway I have now moved, have a larger lounge but it is a flat so can't go over the top. I am on a serious budget to get this started so have been shopping about and need your views and comments on my shortlist. I already have a 37" LCD from Novatech that I paid £200 for and am extremely happy with, apparently it has LG components inside.

Sony BDP-S350 Blu-Ray - Already purchased as ex demo for £110.00

Sony STR-DG820 Receiver - sounds like it does everything i need and well, have found them new online for £232 Delivered.

Audica CS Series System 2 AV 5.1 Speaker System - Great reviews and they look very stylish which is important to me too, found these new for £419 Delivered.

Oh and Sky HD has now been ordered too :D

I look forward to your comments and becoming active on these forums.

Welcome testpilot, your choice of Sony BluRay and Receiver is spot on-in recent test of same make BluRay system that combo got rave reviews.......

Cant comment on your speakers or TV, tbh never heard of it but if you stay on these forums it wont be long before you upgrade your tv-it happens to us all
emotion-1.gif

Get a few QED HDMI and speaker cables and your off to a good start......

A

Anonymous

Don't bother with QED HDMI cables, you don't need to spend that much. A £5 HDMI lead will work just as well and will suit your budget needs much better :). Check whether or not the speaker system you purchase includes cable before forking out on it seperately (an educated guess would be that those audicas come with cable).

Out of curiosity where did you find the Audicas at that price?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
sounds like a good basis for a budget system. I think the weakest link is the telly (but it was very cheap). Stick with all of that for now, then upgrade in a year or so. I think What Hi Fi give you a free QED HDMI lead if you subscribe for 6 months.

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Big Aura:I think What Hi Fi give you a free QED HDMI lead if you subscribe for 6 months.

And then come back and, as a fairly impartial observer, let us know whether you saw an improvement ;-)

testpilot4321:OK, hit my first problem, the Sony STR-DG820 is out of stock everywhere :( Any ideas?

What about Onkyo TX-SR606? It's a very nice receiver, although it's about £100 more than the Sony: http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/onkyo_txsr606.shtml

Another good option, and well within your budget, is Denon AVR1509 receiver: http://www.froogle.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/denon/avr1509/deno-avr1509-blk

Other options in the Onkyo TX-SR 606 range is Yamaha DSP-AX763 and Denon AVR1909.

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvisionoffers.co.uk/offers.htm

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The issue with that Denon 1509 is it won't decode HD audio or accept audio via its HDMI. I'd also have a look at the Onkyo 507 as well as those older amps mentioned above, but it really depends what your max budget is.

testpilot4321

May 20, 2009
Visit site
Well I bought the Onkyo TXSR507, paid £325 for it from Richer Sounds and I am so glad I paid the extra, its awesome!

Finally got to listen to the Audica's, they were nice, but didn't look or sound as good as I hoped, listed to a lot of speakers, then I listened to the Monitor Audio Vectors, within seconds I was drawn in, oblivious to the world around me, they are truely magical and I will be buying a set this week!!!

A

Anonymous

testpilot4321:OK, hit my first problem, the Sony STR-DG820 is out of stock everywhere :( Any ideas?

Richer Sounds have just started advertising these for £229 have you checked them in the last couple of days?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts