first hi-fi system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hy all,

This is my first post so please be gentle with me
emotion-1.gif

As the name of the topic points this is my first "wannabe" hi-fi system.(entry level)
It's going to be placed in small room 20-24 sqm and i will be listening to classical music.
Can you please help me make the right choice.
I had in mind :
Stereo Amplifier : Yamaha
AX-497
Marantz
PM4001
Rotel RA 04

Speakers : Yamaha NS-333
Cambridge Audio S30
Mordaunt Short
AVANT MS902Ai

Or should i go for the large floor speakers?

p.s. Sorry for my bad english

A

Anonymous

cheradu:
Hy all,

This is my first post so please be gentle with me
emotion-1.gif

As the name of the topic points this is my first "wannabe" hi-fi system.(entry level)
It's going to be placed in small room 20-24 sqm and i will be listening to classical music.
Can you please help me make the right choice.
I had in mind :
Stereo Amplifier : Yamaha
AX-497
Marantz
PM4001
Rotel RA 04

Speakers : Yamaha NS-333
Cambridge Audio S30
Mordaunt Short
AVANT MS902Ai

Or should i go for the large floor speakers?

p.s. Sorry for my bad english

Hi there, the Rotel ra-o4 is the difinate choice of the mps ob your list, dont think id partner with any of those speakers though, Whats your overall budget if you dont mind me asking??...also have you budgeted for cables/stands etc??

A

Anonymous

My budget is pretty small 500euros for the speakers and amplifier alone.
I was thinking of around 300 euros for the amplifier and 200 for the speakers.
i know it's not much but that's the best i can do at the moment.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
curious..u sound just like me.bought the ax497.midrange was very overwhelming with the cambridge S30 wich i also bought.the s30 sounded much better with my av amp with only 20 w per chanel.returned them both.then got the pm4001.the bass was to loud.a big gap in the midrange.since then i didn't buy anything.everyone recomends the ra-04.i didn't hear ir yet.but i recon its good.also heard a rx397 with yamaha speakers.sounded awful really.the MS sound can be very agressive,heard these before and it kind of reminded me of the s30.very tiring to listen to.I can say now I won go near yamaha or marantz amps for sure.

A

Anonymous

If I were you, I would consider the budget hi-fi package offered by Richer Sounds/Superfi, and it's all brand new.

NAD C515BEE CD & C315BEE AMP & Q ACOUSTICS 1020 SPEAKERS or TANNOY MERCURY F1 SPEAKERS = £350.00

This is well within your 500.00 euro budget.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the amp advice.
but what about the speakers set. What do you recommend ?
I know it's not the best budget ( believe me i wold love to have 2000eu to spend on the system ) but there's got to be a best value for money there :D

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
well i also don't think that spending to much money makes for a good sound.but there are some limitations.the ra-04 is not very expensive.For speakers wharfedale diamond 9.1.are not expensive.sound good.but i would try to listen to the 902i with the amp u are getting.then the monitor audio br2 are also very refined.but not so keen on high levels.kef iq1 wouldn't be bad.but maybe u can get better stuff...im from portugal.here we have some alternatives cheaper alternatives.for example the jamo s406 (floorstanders) would sound good and are very cheap indeed. around 90 euros a pair.

A

Anonymous

EvilWolf:
If I were you, I would consider the budget hi-fi package offered by Richer Sounds/Superfi, and it's all brand new.

NAD C515BEE CD & C315BEE AMP & Q ACOUSTICS 1020 SPEAKERS or TANNOY MERCURY F1 SPEAKERS = £350.00

This package would do the trick.

A

Anonymous

EvilWolf:

Can't really buy that since it's not available in my country.
At the moment i have a dvd player ( not the best not the brightest but it's there ) so i don't need a cd player now.
I will upgrade that too but not now.
thank for the advice though.

here's a rough list of speakers builders available here:

B&W, Bolzano Villetri, Boston Acoustics Cambridge Audio, Canton, Dali, Denon, Epos, Infinity, Jamo, JBl, KEF, Klipsch
Lyngdorf Martin Logan, Mordaunt Short, Naim, Opera, Pioneer, Proac, Sonus Faber, Spendor, Triangle, Yamaha

A

Anonymous

ear:well i also don't think that spending to much money makes for a good sound.but there are some limitations.the ra-04 is not very expensive.For speakers wharfedale diamond 9.1.are not expensive.sound good.but i would try to listen to the 902i with the amp u are getting.then the monitor audio br2 are also very refined.but not so keen on high levels.kef iq1 wouldn't be bad.but maybe u can get better stuff...im from portugal.here we have some alternatives cheaper alternatives.for example the jamo s406 (floorstanders) would sound good and are very cheap indeed. around 90 euros a pair.

your actually worse at this than me...............

A

Anonymous

hmmmm...
let's say i want to go with the Rotel and get some speakers (200 euro top) and later i'll upgrade the system with better speakers.Please , please, please recommend some speakers, any speakers.(i don't want to buy the worst speakers possible).
Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Go with the older 600 series from B&W. These are still great today.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
jamo s406 sounded very good to me...and very cheap.sounded better than the s30 and the 902 for sure.at least for me.

A

Anonymous

Now thanks to you, i have narrowed the search
Amplifier
1)NAD C315BEE
2)Rotel
RA 04
Speakers
1)Jamo S406
2)TANNOY MERCURY F2 SPEAKERS

which is best?

i only found the mercury F2 speakers :|

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I return to this.although not having liked the ms 902i, there's something that atracts me to them.If I were u I would try to listen do these with the amp u get.just in case.after all they are 5 stars,and we all have different listening likes and dislikes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts