First hi-fi setup - question of pairing amp to speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm in the process of getting my first decent starter hi-fi setup, but due to limitations of comparing different set-ups in stores (the stores here in west-siberia have only limited stock and none of the stores seems to cover all those brands I'm interested), I would be grateful for your opinions on a few questions.

I've limited my setup to the following options (and budget):

Amp: Rotel RA-12 OR Marantz PM6004

Cd player: Marantz CD6004 or similar

Speakers: Monitor Audio BX2 OR Kef Q300

Now, my set of questions would be:

- Do you think the Rotel RA-12 would pair better with the BX2 or Q300 speakers?

- How about the Marantz PM6004 amp, it obviously pairs well with the BX2 (as said in the earlier WH review), but how about with the Q300?

- If the Rotel RCD-12 would be a bit out of the budget, which 'more budget' CD player would you recommend to go with the RA-12?

All in all, I guess the question would be: should I go with the Rotel RA-12/some budget CD player/Q300 set-up, OR the Marantz PM6004/CD6004/BX2? Any other ideas?

The problem is that I can't test different set-ups since the stores here sell either Marantz, KEFs, Rotels or Monitor Audio, but none sell all of them.

I listen mainly jazz, some pop and occasionally classical. The room where the set-up will be is app. 25-30m2.

I salute you in forehand for all the advice and tips,

Have a pleasant rest of the week,

Pauno

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hello and welcome thats one big room I have only heard the Marantz combo 6004 cd +amp with an old pair of kef cresta 2s sounded pretty good for a budget set up

plasterman

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the Rotel RA 12 and it's a good amp with built in DAC this amp replaced my Marantz PM 6004. I also own the Marantz CD 6004 which is a great player which is connected to the DAC in the Rotel.

The Marantz CD/PM 6004 is a good combination and is a smooth relaxed sound with a good level of detail. The Rotel is a better amp though, it has more power and detail than the Marantz less smooth but still musical plus it has more features.

The speakers I use with the Rotel/Marantz is B&W 685.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts