First DAC question

Dr Oetker

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi All

I have a Roksan Kandy Amp, Marantz CD6002 & MA RS5's. I'm looking to add a DAC to my system so that I can connect my laptop up. I'd like to keep outlay to a minimum but would like the DAC to sound at least as good as my CDP. Is this realistic? Any suggestions most welcome. I did wonder whether I could upgrade to the Marantz CD6004, as this has a USB connection (don't know if it will work with a laptop?), not sure how this would sound compared to a dedicated DAC?

It would be great to benefit from your experience!

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
yes, a (<£200) DAC will sound at least as good as your CD player. If you are connecting with USB make sure you go for a DAC with asynchronous USB - the MF V-DAC II springs to mind - although Roksan owners who have dabbled with DAC's will be able to help further.

Am not 100% but I don't think the USB on the Marantz CD6004 will be as good asynchronous - do check though.

With your amp & speakers I'd be tempted to go to the next level of DACs..... certainly no less than the V-DAC mentioned - you could always upgrade the power supply to this is you wanted to upgrade later on...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/musical-fidelity-v-dac-ii

Dr Oetker

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, does anyone have a view on HRT streamer 2 vs MF V-DAC II?

Fatman - what kind of thing would you suggest if I went to the next level of DAC?

A

Anonymous

I dont know about the HRT but i do know the mf-v dac 2 is a fine sounding dac for the money, i use a roksan amp and monitor audio speakers, it works for me so i guess it will work for you.

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
Musical Fidelity M1, Rega, Audiolab M-DAC. Slightly cheaper is the Arcam rDAC. Dozens of posts on the forums re. all of these and some detailed reviews from WHF over recent months on the newer units. rDAC has been around a while and I think was one of the first DACs with asynchronous USB. WHF rated this very highly at the time.

Not sure if all these units mentioned have the asynchronous high bit rate from USB but as mentioned previously, if that is your connection from laptop do make sure your DAC has this.

Again, Roksan owners will hopefully be able to comment further on DAC's best matched with your amp. Have you done much trawling through the forums?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts