Firestone Audio

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Just been looking on the Firestone site and spotted the BRAVO, re-clocks and converts USB to 24bit 96Khz Spidf optical/coax. Reduced to 99.99 Euros (normal price 160 Euro). More info on their site.

The Supplier is on special offer until 1stMay for 74.90 Euro (normal price 115 Euro)

How about a mini rack for all those mini boxes....ooooooohhhh

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009:STOPPIT!!!! Get out of my HEAD!!!

[whispers...] go on, go on, you know you want to, they're sooo naughty...
emotion-5.gif

Laceybloke

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
SpiceWeasel:Well I have only got the one mini box at the mo (Fubar4), but I couldn't resist posting the mini rack. On the website it says that you can lock the boxes to the rack on the bottom two shelves, and you can combine two racks into one big rack if you have more boxes.
I *did* have only the Fubar4, but then I saw what a bargain the Supplier was, and then noticed the combination discount if you bought the rack as well... and look how pretty they all look together! It's only money.

Rack is clever - it has rubber stoppers on the underside of each shelf (you can see them in the photo on the top shelf), so when you install your components and tighten it all up, they lock into place. Stops things sliding around if you're plugging and unplugging headphones.

Brilliant bits of kit if you ask me.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
OK, I have read good things about these wee beasties and cannot deny I am tempted. However, let us take a step back a moment.

I am very happy with the performance of my CDP. Indeed, last night I did a quick comparison between a bog-standard CD version of Melody Gardot's 'My One And Only Thrill' and the version on Spotify Premium via USB. The latter does sound good. But spin the disk and a whole new depth of sound is to be heard. The DACMagic registers the CD as 44.1 but Spotify as 48 which is, in the simplest of terms, 'better'. Obviously there is more to it, but on the face of it, if I buy the Bravo I can convert from USB to coax or optical and gain a 'jump' in laptop to hi-fi speaker performance that seriously challenges the conventional hi-fi setup. True or false?

Now, my Dell Inspiron 6400 is beginning to get on a bit (having just passed its 4th birthday this year) and lacks (as far as I know) any optical or coaxial capability - hence my use of a USB cable to the DACMagic. I enjoy using Spotify on occasion, but rely mainly on my CD collection for listening. When it comes down to it, is it really worth splashing out on a Bravo at the 'bargain' price, or would I be better off to wait a while and consider my options when the current laptop pops its clogs? Spotify Premium gives me decent enough sound via my iBasso and earphones, and provides a good source for checking out recommended listening, but a direct replacement for my trusty Marantz??
emotion-42.gif

Indeed, is the Bravo really that good? Has anyone tried and tested it? Do I need yet one more box and power supply cluttering up the audio-visual control module? Sure, it's under 100 Euros, but at our currently shoddy exchange rate, is it worth a go?

Laceybloke

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
If you've already offloaded the digital to analogue conversion onto the DACMagic, then I would suggest that the Bravo really isn't going to gain you very much (regardless of how pretty it all looks).

As you can see in the photo, I'm using the Fubar IV with the Supplier for an entirely different purpose to what you're suggesting. As such, I can't comment on how much the Bravo would or wouldn't improve things, but essentially your DACMagic is doing all the work already. If the DACMagic couldn't accept a USB input and that was your only option, then maybe - but as it stands I would say you should save your cash.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts