admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Now that Jonothan Ross has moved on, the new series of Film 2010 started last night with a new format and new presenters, Claudia Wilkleman & Danny Leigh. Just wanted to know what everyone else thought about it...

Have to say I was disappointed to say the least...but want to hear what everyone else thinks who saw it...

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if it would work on TV but if I was in charge of the BBC I would be tempted to try pulling Mark & Simon off 5 Live for a trial period. Their "wittertainment" works a treat on Friday afternoons.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
The BBC, rather than find someone clever and interested in a given topic, has taken to grooming a stable of talent (though not quite "talent" as defined in the OED), which can be parachuted into any given presenter role.

See Colin Murray, Claudia Winkleman, Graham Norton and Rob Brydon etc.

Although in the case of Mr Brydon, he really stretches the term 'talent' to a level of dilution that would make a homoeopathist blush.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Now I am gagging for the film about Anselm Kiefer 'Over your Cities Grass Will Grow' to appear on DVD. (Some hope.)

I have been a fan of the artist since I first took up landscape photography and since I first came across his work in Simon Schama's book 'Landscape and Memory'.

Thanks to Film 2010 for at least being the first TV programme I recall to ever show his work, even though it was only a clip.

scene

For many years I have failed to see the point of Ms. Winkleman, she seems to rely her talent as a giggly schoolgirl, who knows all the right people and I fear the Film CCYY franchise could easily degenerate into a glossy style program, rather than actually giving critical reviews of films...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Big Aura:
The BBC, rather than find someone clever and interested in a given topic, has taken to grooming a stable of talent (though not quite "talent" as defined in the OED), which can be parachuted into any given presenter role.

Although in the case of Mr Brydon, he really stretches the term 'talent' to a level of dilution that would make a homoeopathist blush.

Ouch, can't help feeling that's a little harsh on Mr Brydon, he's got a few more strings to his bow than the others have. Or at the very least, he has a bow to start with...

And Winkleman has a history of presenting Arts shows on the radio, so she's not a completely random choice (although I'll admit I've no idea if she was actually any good on those shows...).

A

Anonymous

Big Aura:

collin murray and talent mentioned on the same page
emotion-8.gif

he was once co-commentating on a tv poker show, with a successful pro, john duthie. he kept talking over duthie all the time, wrongly describing the play of the various hands, duthie politely kept explaining that what he was saying was probably incorrect, murray actually started arguing with him
emotion-3.gif
, he's a pillock, i thought duthie was going to get up and leave at one point, he was exasperated..

Jamboman

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
The bbc have dropped the ball on this one. Given the audience on Radio 5 on a Friday afternoon and the popularity of moviedrome on youtube there is obviously a huge demand for a good quality film review show. How Claudia Winkleman qualifies for the job is beyond me; what does she base her opinions on? The Culture Show is better by far although they'll muck about with its scheduling just as much as with Film 2010.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:Ouch, can't help feeling that's a little harsh on Mr Brydon, he's got a few more strings to his bow than the others have. Or at the very least, he has a bow to start with... And Winkleman has a history of presenting Arts shows on the radio, so she's not a completely random choice (although I'll admit I've no idea if she was actually any good on those shows...).

Rob Brydon is quite good on that comedy drama thing set in Wales/Essex (the name escapes me). He's reasonably good on QI. He's fine as a presenter of the Call My Bluff rip-off.

He's painful to watch on his new chatshow.

[edit - it's Gavin and Stacey]

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Big Aura:
the_lhc:Ouch, can't help feeling that's a little harsh on Mr Brydon, he's got a few more strings to his bow than the others have. Or at the very least, he has a bow to start with... And Winkleman has a history of presenting Arts shows on the radio, so she's not a completely random choice (although I'll admit I've no idea if she was actually any good on those shows...).

Rob Brydon is quite good on that comedy drama thing set in Wales/Essex (the name escapes me). He's reasonably good on QI. He's fine as a presenter of the Call My Bluff rip-off.

He's painful to watch on his new chatshow.

I can't help thinking that's part of the point of it though. He was good in that thing where he played the taxi driver (can't remember the name of that either) and he's a reasonably good, if limited in scope, impressionist (I'd argue better than Jon Culshaw, a lot of who's impressions make me wonder if he's ever even heard the person he's attempting to take off) and he can do a little man in a box voice as well, you cannot underestimate the power of that...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:He's a decent singer, too (as anyone who's heard him on 'I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue' can attest to).

Good point, he's had a number one as well. Record I mean, with Tom Jones. Does an impression of him too, although it mainly consists of him going "Huh!". A lot.

Justin Lee Collins on the other hand does a very passable singing impression of Tom.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Big Aura:the point is to make painful to watch pointless telly? Is this some sort of experiment?

I think it's ironic. Or something.

Either way I think we've established he's far more talented than the rest of the people on that list.

And we haven't even mentioned Fearne Cotton...

Jamboman

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:
Jamboman:How Claudia Winkleman qualifies for the job is beyond me; what does she base her opinions on?

Is this not what a film review is though - an opinion?

Exactly, but an opinion based on what? Everyone is free to give an opinion - its only useful if it is based on your understanding and knowlegde of the subject matter.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Jamboman:professorhat:
Jamboman:How Claudia Winkleman qualifies for the job is beyond me; what does she base her opinions on?

Exactly, but an opinion based on what?

Watching the film one would hope, although my local newspaper used to have a film reviewer the majority of whose reviews started "I haven't managed to see this film yet...", used to drive me up the wall!

Everyone is free to give an opinion - its only useful if it is based on your understanding and knowlegde of the subject matter.

What makes you think she's lacking in those areas though?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Jamboman:professorhat:

Exactly, but an opinion based on what? Everyone is free to give an opinion - its only useful if it is based on your understanding and knowlegde of the subject matter.

I do see where you're coming from, just that in many ways, her opinion will be more relevant to some people than others. I guess it depends who they're aiming the show at (not that I'm insinuating I'm in any way interested in her opinion, but then I haven't watched it since Barry left).

However, my understanding is the show will have official film critics to aid her and to her credit she has said:

"I think it has to be a very different show [from previously]. I had to be with a film expert because I'm a film fan. That's all I am."

Jamboman

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:Jamboman:professorhat:

I do see where you're coming from, just that in many ways, her opinion will be more relevant to some people than others. I guess it depends who they're aiming the show at (not that I'm insinuating I'm in any way interested in her opinion, but then I haven't watched it since Barry left).

However, my understanding is the show will have official film critics to aid her and to her credit she has said:

"I think it has to be a very different show [from previously]. I had to be with a film expert because I'm a film fan. That's all I am."

You are all of course correct although I would have thought that a fine institution like the BBC would have put forward a critic with some credability rather than a presenter with no history in the area. I'll stick to the Culture Show.

John Duncan

I'm sure everybody had the same discussions years ago when Jonathan Ross took it over. What's wrong with a half-decent television journalist* with a love of film presenting a film show?

*and yes, I do count Claudia Winkleman in that description.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Jamboman:You are all of course correct although I would have thought that a fine institution like the BBC would have put forward a critic with some credability

Dr K. didn't want the job.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts