Figure 8 mains cable.....

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
In the January edition (page 64), the following was printed in the , 'Did you know?' section:

''Figure of 8' cables are generally used in low-current situations that don't require an earth connection - such as set-top boxes.'

Is this a newish thing?

Reason I ask is that I have found my old 1994 Pioneer A-605R stereo amp to have such a connection (not fixed). Is this safe, as I'd imagine a stereo amp is seen as a high current product, in comparison to set top boxes, etc?

Finally, if I wanted to change the standard one to improve SQ, is it suggested that the Merlin Tarantula would be an ample upgrade, or would the Russ Andrews Powerkord-8 offer a more significant improvement?

michael hoy

Pistol Pete1:
In the January edition (page 64), the following was printed in the , 'Did you know?' section:

''Figure of 8' cables are generally used in low-current situations that don't require an earth connection - such as set-top boxes.'

Is this a newish thing?

Reason I ask is that I have found my old 1994 Pioneer A-605R stereo amp to have such a connection (not fixed). Is this safe, as I'd imagine a stereo amp is seen as a high current product, in comparison to set top boxes, etc?

Finally, if I wanted to change the standard one to improve SQ, is it suggested that the Merlin Tarantula would be an ample upgrade, or would the Russ Andrews Powerkord-8 offer a more significant improvement?

I have the Merlin Tarantula on my Sky box and for the price find it to be a very good cable.

A

Anonymous

I've got two Elucidate Epic Fig8 cable. One on my V+ box and the other on my bluray.

I could see the differents compared to the bog standard poo.

Very nice cables.

A

Anonymous

My Merlin Tarantula SE Fig 8 cable on my Sky box has become very loose due to the need to unplug it several times. Not good

michael hoy

michael hoy:

I have the Merlin Tarantula on my Sky box and for the price find it to be a very good cable.

Marnie:My Merlin Tarantula SE Fig 8 cable on my Sky box has become very loose due to the need to unplug it several times. Not good

Mine still as tight as day one, been out multiple times.

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Would highly recommend the Audioquest NRG 1.5, have one for my Mac Mini and Sky Box, built like a tank, super quality and big improvements
smiley-wink.gif

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I have spent a significant amount of time now looking at which cable should offer an improvement. After reading the 'make-up' of all the major brands i have ended up buying a hand made one from'Mains-Cables-R-Us'. Paid £35 for a 1m Silver plated Fig 8 and MK Silver plated plug using Belden Cable with a Ferrite band to challenge RFI. I was originally looking at paying a lot more for a cable with similar spec. Will post my findings here once it arrives.

Lots of information about conductivity, materials and 'building your own' on their website.

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I can concur that the merlin tarantula is a well made cable and is definitely good value for money. I have some audioquest on my zp90 and it's also a well made cable.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Cookie Monster said:
I have spent a significant amount of time now looking at which cable should offer an improvement. After reading the 'make-up' of all the major brands i have ended up buying a hand made one from'Mains-Cables-R-Us'. Paid £35 for a 1m Silver plated Fig 8 and MK Silver plated plug using Belden Cable with a Ferrite band to challenge RFI. I was originally looking at paying a lot more for a cable with similar spec. Will post my findings here once it arrives.

Lots of information about conductivity, materials and 'building your own' on their website.

OK, so i recieved the above £35 cable today. Watched a bit of Telly on original included Fig. 8. 'Deal or No Deal' was on Sky. Low bit rate as you are aware.

Swapped cables and immedietly there was a significant reduction in 'on screen' noise. Edges sharpened, and contrast also improved with richer colours and slightly improved black level. All this was without any flaring of pixels, edges stayed 'rock solid'. to the point were i am having to get used to it!

Tried some HD, Indiana Jones 4 recorded on Sky HD, which at first appeared softer, then i realised i was seeing no pixel grain. Sharpness can be increased if wished. My Philips used HD Pixel Precise processing and shows occasional horizontal noise from the engine. I cannot see the noise anymore! Depth was also improved. During the Jungle chase the cliff face and jungle below now shows rich noise free detail and an improved sense of three dimensionality.

Lastly sound. WOW! Clarity and depth of seperation hit you first, bass is tighter and yes thats on my LCD TV. During the jungle chase the sound really came forth from the TV with the 'swinging monkeys' moving into the soundstage rather than staying put in speakers.

£35! Absolute Bargain

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
I seem to remember in the past some discussion about which way round the figure8 should be inserted and some asserted that it made a difference.

Maybe the percieved difference between cables in some cases is the difference in insertion.

Has anyone tried comparing their cables with the plug both ways up for each cable (i.e. 4 different possibilities)

OK I'll get my coat...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Cookie Monster said:
Cookie Monster said:

OK, so i recieved the above £35 cable today. Watched a bit of Telly on original included Fig. 8. 'Deal or No Deal' was on Sky. Low bit rate as you are aware.

Swapped cables and immedietly there was a significant reduction in 'on screen' noise. Edges sharpened, and contrast also improved with richer colours and slightly improved black level. All this was without any flaring of pixels, edges stayed 'rock solid'. to the point were i am having to get used to it!

Tried some HD, Indiana Jones 4 recorded on Sky HD, which at first appeared softer, then i realised i was seeing no pixel grain. Sharpness can be increased if wished. My Philips used HD Pixel Precise processing and shows occasional horizontal noise from the engine. I cannot see the noise anymore! Depth was also improved. During the Jungle chase the cliff face and jungle below now shows rich noise free detail and an improved sense of three dimensionality.

Lastly sound. WOW! Clarity and depth of seperation hit you first, bass is tighter and yes thats on my LCD TV. During the jungle chase the sound really came forth from the TV with the 'swinging monkeys' moving into the soundstage rather than staying put in speakers.

£35! Absolute Bargain

That's pretty much what I found when I used a Clearer Audio cable, with Furutec F8, on Sky box.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Cookie Monster said:
Cookie Monster said:

£35! Absolute Bargain
Hi Cookie monster,

I got the exact same results as you did but with my RAs Powerkord-8. Can i ask you, did you have your cable burnt-in? Or was those your first results straight out the box (so to speak)? As i found my powerkord-8 got even better with burn-in time.

Cheers

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jase,

Yeh straight from the box. May be my imagination but things have improved again in the last 24hrs. Attached to my SKY HD box then into Tacima. Looking for another cable now for my Philips TV (Fig 8), not sure whether i should go for a handmade silver plated cable or something like a Merlin Tarantula or RA Powerchord like yourself. Need smooth transfer of power probably without ferrite band. Need to decide soon eh! they take a couple of months to 'burn in' don't they?

In fact i would like a better Mains Filter or block to boost all system components attached. Tacima is very good, but can it be bettered?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
No, it's not your imagination at all mate, your cable will go through changes until it reaches it's optimum performance so yours will get even better over time.

My powerkord-8 is plugged into a tacima also. Ive used Silver before but it does take alot longer to burn-in, i do prefer copper anyway as there cheaper and give out great results.

I've only used a Tacima mains conditioner, i've read reviews on here as to how good the BT conditioners are etc but it depends on how far your willing to go and how much your prepared to pay. Personally with my Tacima and powerkords i'm really happy with the results i've got out of 'em so i'm just sitting back now and enjoying my movies and music, ha

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts