Favourite bits of the mag?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I have been reading the magazine andf the website for ages, and one day I actually get round to buying some new kit.

I just did the Readers Survey thing online - hope I win a prize!.

But it got me thinking whats everyones favorite bit or bits of WHS+V each month? Is it just all the tests, or what?

(Hope this is in the right bit of the Forums)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You mean we produce a magazine, too? I spend so much time on here I get kinda blinkered.

But yes, might be good to know what people like, and why, on a more anecdotal basis...

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
On the whole i enjoy reading all the articles, however Home Cinema/BluRay would be my favourites reviews/articles as thats what im 'into' at the minute.........

However having spent last weekend in my attic ( to be converted into a cimena room in the summer) and discovering my HiFi seperates (All purchased on the reviews in the magazine in the early 90's) im sure i'll take a keen interest in the HiFi articles in the near furture............

I think the Sound Advice section is invaluable in gaining small pieces of knowledge/tweaks to improve your system
emotion-2.gif

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Andy Clough:

Simon Lucas:My favourite bit is when it goes to the printers.

I'm sure Jonny E would agree

Job satisfaction ehhh........

Jonathan Evans

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Merely 'going to the printers' isn't enough for me. Things can stil be altered...

Call me paranoid, but I need it printed and going to be bound before I can relax. No more we can do about it then.

Messiah

I would have to say that I like the 'First Test' section as that is when we get the initial look and rating of a new product.

'What's New?' is also an interesting section.

However, articles such as the 'Upscaling Showdown' in the recent issue are the kind of thing I like to read most. There should be more of these types of articles in the mag. It is nice to read about matters relating to HiFI/Home Cinema as apposed to just reviews.

A

Anonymous

Messiah: I would have to say that I like the 'First Test' section as that is when we get the initial look and rating of a new product.

Me too - that's the best bit. I think a more general news section would be useful too.

Month on month I'm just not going to read a group test of TV's, though of course I did prior to purchasing my TV and appreciate the usefulness of this section. I also like the help sections nearer the back.

Frankly, I'm not at all interested in the high-end temptations stuff - just not realistic - I'd rather this space/effort was dedicated to more of the affordable, mainstream kit.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Likewise, I love the Temptations section.

I also enjoy filtering any of the reviews for mentions of music played during the tests. Gives you something a little more tangible to refer to when gauging reviewed kit against one's own.

Any room for pilfering another mag's monthly feature on a great or interesting recording? I know there's the half-page section which briefly describes albums used in the current issue's tests but more in depth pieces would be good.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Group Tests/Test Express - particulary if it involves a component I`m thinking of buying soon. For instance this month features a Group Test for headphone amplifiers. Also like First Tests and Reader Rescue. Oh and What`s New.

idc

Temptations, I read that first, a real treat. Complements to your photographer(s) as well, from the luscious beauty of the products shown in temptations to the pictures used for the tests.

T

the record spot

For me, it tends to be the First Tests, News, Group Tests (hi-fi and DVD player related), Buying Guide at the back and occasionally the Sound Advice but feel it's still too short! Maybe that's just the impression I get from the cropped page layout.

And is it just me, or have some of the reviews been growing in wordcount again? One pager reviews seem to be getting a higher profile in the last few months?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts