faulty sky box

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

A colleague at work is having issues with his sky+ box. He can only record the channel he is currently watching. When he is recording and tries to change channel an error message comes up advising that a technical error has occurred. He has tried the planner rebuild but it makes no difference.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or is the box beyond help?

Thanks

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Could be any number of things but check the signal strength and quality for both feeds, sounds like one of them's dropped below a usable threshold but it could also be a dodgy hard drive on the way out.

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
thanks the_lhc

It seems it is the signal strength after all. Is there anything he can do to improve this?

When he phoned sky about the problem they advised the box was broken and he'd need to pay for a new box (£100) as the guarantee has expired

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
You could try telling them that you're not prepared to pay that, so you'll cancel and go to Freesat - you may get the repair free

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
dangalf:
thanks the_lhc

It seems it is the signal strength after all. Is there anything he can do to improve this?

Need to find where the problem is first, swap the cables at the back of the box, if the signal strength problem moves to the other input then the problem is either the cable or the LNB, if it stays where it is it's the box. The fact that one of the inputs has a good signal strength (what about the quality?) would seem to indicate that the dish is fine.

Actually a dodgy signal strength on one input could still be the hard drive, when the HDD was failing on my first Sky+ box one of the symptoms was a lack of signal strength on the 2nd input, according to the services menu at any rate, there wasn't actually anything wrong with the signal at all.

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
How old is the box and what make?

I had a similar problem this year with a Thompson box of approx 3 years old. Apparently there have been quite a few issues with Thompson boxes of that sort of age.

I have now got a new Amstrad 1Tb direct from Satbuyer and it works a treat.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Slight thread hi-jack. Does the new box put out 5.1 through the HDMI or would I still need to use an optical cable?

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
hi all,

thanks for all the replies. in the end he just phoned up threatening to move his business elsewhere and sky agreed to send out a new box for free - better than paying £100 for a new box like sky customer services wanted him to!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts