Faulty cd reproduction

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am new to this forum and hoping for some advice. I have a Yamaha receiver and a Philips cd player. the Yamaha is about 25 years old and the cd is new. When playing a cd the distortion is awful and the left speaker keeps cutting in and out-sometimes settles down sometimes not. Using lens cleaner doesn't help. The receiver plays perfectly on fm radio and tape. I have checked all connections.

I suspect that there is a fault with the cd circuitry in the receiver but I don't have another receiver or amp to test this. Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Thanks

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Try the CD player in a different input- I assume there is more than one input on the back of your receiver. If the problem persists, try a totally different interconnect lead.

It is possible your CD player's phono output- or the amp's input- may have a loose solder joint connecting it to the PCB- if this is the case then it's easily fixable.

However, if changing input helps, then the amp is to blame. If you can live without it, just don't use the CD input!

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
It might help if posted the model numbers of the Yamaha and Philips.

You say the left channel cuts out on CD. Is the distortion present on both channels with CD ? Have you tried swapping left and right interconnects over to see if the fault transfers to the other channel.

It sounds an unusual problem tbh. Has the Yamaha got a specific input marked as "CD" ? I ask that because the output from CD is higher than older tape decks and tuners and it's possible it could overload the input stages on older kit, which would result in distortion.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone. In the end I found that plugging in to the aux inputs on the receiver has done the job. There is obviously a fault with the dedicated cd input circuitry.

TRENDING THREADS