Faulty Blu Rays - anyone know anything?

Feb 9, 2008
Visit site
This week i've mostly been trying to watch tinker tailor on blu ray, but my player tells me the disc is unrecognized

I've been back to ASDA for another copy, same problem...

I've made sure my sony bdp s550 has all its updates

still no idea who the mole is in HD being a double play the DVD works but why no blu ray :help: , could it be a bad batch of discs gone to ASDA ?

This never happened with betamax....

Feb 9, 2008
Visit site
:cheers:

I think something may be amiss in general as it seems to be not just this new film, ones i've watched before dont want to co-operate either now... getting close to being an excuse to buy the BDPS-780, with its SACD, BBC Iplayer benefits...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It plays fine on my 5000ES, and I've watched it a few times. Try a copy from somewhere else - might be a batch thing.

I'm challenging you LastManWithBetamax. One of us will be the last man owning one :rofl:

Feb 9, 2008
Visit site
@ Frank challenge accepted! :beer:

Anyway i've done some investigating and it seems like its a player fault as i went through all my discs then contacted sony, a whole bunch more wouldnt play, and they had previously, DVD's still played, Blu Rays was hit an miss, 5 out of 6 Star Wars films played, 1 didn't.... what sony have told me for reference to anyone having similar trouble

I understand that your Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray player has updated and now certain Blu-rays will not play. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience or disappointment that this may have caused.

In this instance I recommend that you reset your player. To preform a reset press 'Home/Menu' on your remote control, then use the directional buttons to go left and right to select 'Setup', then scroll up and down to until you find the 'Resetting' option. You can reset the system settings to the factory default by selecting the group of settings. All the settings within the group will be reset.

If this does not resolve the problem then you will need to send your device to an authorised repair centre. To locate your closest ASC please click on the link below and input your post code into the search field:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/repair/asc

Please be aware that a Sony European guarantee is supplied with all Sony products to protect both the product and our customers from these potential failures, subject to the Terms and Conditions of your guarantee. Once the guarantee has expired however, and in the absence of any form of additional or extended guarantee arrangement, any required repair would have to be carried out on a chargeable basis.

I hope this information is of some assistance. Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely

The Reset didnt solve the issue, so after weighing up the hassle of finding a service centre to the cost of a new one (with more features) i went out and got a new one :bounce:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If this happened after an update put out by Sony, I'd be pestering them to sort it out. if it worked fine before, the player was fine, but if it no longer performs to the same standard because Sony have forced a software update on you, I personally feel that Sony should sort that out for you, in warranty or not.

Of course, whether they would is another matter.

This is one reason why I recommend only performing software updates if a product is playing up. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts