Faulty Amplifier - advice on a new system

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi, In a previous post I asked about my arcam system about possible faulty speakers . Now fairly sure it is amp. System is Arcam 1 cd player, Arcam 5 amplifier and Musical Technology Speakers (floorstanders).

My original system was a Marantz cd 48, Rotel 931 amp and Tannoy M1 speakers. The Arcam system was given to me.

Anyway the Arcam 5 amplifier has become faulty. The Marantz cd 48 player had become quite noisy when playing cds and Tannoy M1s have damaged tweeters (child damage). All components are over 13 years old.

Never really took to the arcam system (may have been faulty since I had it). Room also I think may be a bit small for floorstanders.

Quite liked the original system but was chosen very much on a budget.

Now looking for a system up to £1000. Cd, amp and speakers. Much of my listening comes through a Yamaha HD1500 and a Project debut turntable as well as cd. Room is 3m by 2.5m.

Most listening is done at lowish volumes (neighbours to consider). Quite a bit a night time. Got headphones but not a big fan of them.

Music I listen to is Neil Young, Springsteen, U2, REM, acoustic, country-rock, 60's, 70's , 80's pop/rock and some classical. So quite varied.

Looking for recommendations for a starting point before i audition.The Yamaha AS500 looks as if worth a look as does the rega cd player. Find it difficult to judge what i am looking for from descriptions given.

Any recommendations to go on would be appreciated. Thanks

A

Anonymous

The RRP of the Rega Apollo CDP @ £475, Brio 3 amp @ £250 and Rega RS 1 speakers @ £400 would be slightly over your budget - but the January sales are just around the corner!

A

Anonymous

Bare in mind arcams service dept is astonishing! They will repair anything on any one of their amplifiers. If its a good amp you could get it serviced and repaired. If its a change your after It's got to be worth a look at marantz. They do a cd player and amp for 300 each (pm6002 I think) that I auditioned when looking at a setup for a friend and it was amazing for the money!! Maybe paired with some B&W speakers as my buddy did. Very very good! Had the pace, timing and soundstage of a much more expensive setup.

Also look at arcam's alpha 10 or 9 as a starting point or rotels ra04. All can be had on eBay for 250.00 or less and would be very capable components. At this price point your spoiled for choice.

A

Anonymous

Cypher:Get a Marantz PM6003 and CD6003. Real value for money and you'll get a real musical sound.

Really enjoyable system to start from

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Don't really think arcam worth repairing as 13+ years old. The marantz system sounds very appealing. Just reading reviews and suggests Yamaha As-500 could partner the Maranrz 6003 cd player.

Think the Rega system would be above budget.

Cheers for suggestions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts