Fatman speakers

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
Have fallen for the Fatman itube carbon and trying to muddle through the world of bookshelf speakers to compliment it.

As this is a valve amp I know the greater the dB of the speakers the better. My only real requirment is that these speakers are SMALL but if this really does compromise performance then i'd have to put performance first. My shortlist...

Originally eyed up the M32i's but put off by bulkiness

Q 1020's - looking forward to the review this week, and am really hoping I get the nod these will suit the Fatman.

QUAD lite, size appeals.

Linn Komponent, any opinion on these welcome.

Please, please help me match up this valve amp with some great budget speakers.

A

Anonymous

If size is a real concern then why not try some of the wall mounted piezo speakers. Not sure about their cost and sensitivity tho..

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for comment Mr_Poletski, will have a look into piezo speakers.

People of What Hi-Fi? I am now aware that Roth are launching a range of OLi speakers very soon... Any hints on when these stylish looking speakers will be reviewed? I have a feeling my shopping list will be complete.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I have just got my fatman itube and i'm blown away by it. I have set up with a pair of monitor Audio BR2 speakers and they sound great with loads of depth and detail and the warmth of the valves really come through, they are good value at 180 pounds and compliment each other well.

Hope this helps

Carl

A

Anonymous

I've got the same dilemma. I bought the speakers with the iTube, as they weren't much extra, but they aren't a patch on my old Tannyo E11s... the question is - would I notice much improvement with a more modern, small speaker?

Shona

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="shonamh"]I've got the same dilemma. I bought the speakers with the iTube, as they weren't much extra, but they aren't a patch on my old Tannyo E11s... the question is - would I notice much improvement with a more modern, small speaker?

Shona[/quote]

Yes - we've always pointed out the Fatman speakers are the weak point. Even Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs (£110) would make a big improvement, going up to Monitor Audio Bronze BR2s (£200) as already mentioned, plus Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s and Mordaunt-Short Avant 902is (both £150) as alternative-options depending on the size, sound and style you prefer.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare.
Excuse my ignorance, but how much better do you think they'd be than my olde worlde E11s which have done me proud!?

A

Anonymous

Could you recommend some suitable floorstanders that the itube C.B. could drive? I am currently using some old B&W 601 stand mounts which are fine but need upgrading anyway. In addition with regard to a previous post Fatman have it printed on the side of their box and on their website that power is 25 x 2 Watts but it has nowhere near as much oomph as my old NAIM NAIT 5 (I wasn't expecting it to to be fair). I am a little disappointed than the volume doesn't seem that loud though. Would a speaker change help this?

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]

[quote user="shonamh"]I've got the same dilemma. I bought the speakers with the iTube, as they weren't much extra, but they aren't a patch on my old Tannyo E11s... the question is - would I notice much improvement with a more modern, small speaker?

Shona[/quote]

Yes - we've always pointed out the Fatman speakers are the weak point. Even Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs (£110) would make a big improvement, going up to Monitor Audio Bronze BR2s (£200) as already mentioned, plus Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s and Mordaunt-Short Avant 902is (both £150) as alternative-options depending on the size, sound and style you prefer.
[/quote]

A

Anonymous

I think I read on here that the 2x25w is an error and that the carbon itube has a total output of 25w while the normal one that I have is 2x13w.

I think that's why sensitive speakers are a must - to get more oomph...
my old RTL2s aren't doing too badly...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="fatman"]
Please, please help me match up this valve amp with some great budget speakers.

[/quote]

Sorry to butt into this thread as well but I have owned a few valve amplifiers and one consistent factor was they all sounded better with paper coned speakers.

The qualities of a (good) paper cone ie. low weight ... fast response, self damping properties and possible high efficiency make them ideal for low powered valve amplification. Whether you can find a good one for your budget I dont know. Good luck

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]
The qualities of a (good) paper cone ie. low weight ... fast response, self damping properties and possible high efficiency make them ideal for low powered valve amplification. Whether you can find a good one for your budget I dont know. Good luck

[/quote]

Perhaps Tannoys F1 work. The spec seems to fit but I've never heard a pair.

A

Anonymous

Have they got paper cones?
A few Acoustic energy speakers on ebay just now - aelite ones, neo ones, neo threes - any thoughts?
all seem quite sensitive, get good reviews...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts