FATMAN iPod amplifiers, help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I am interested in buying one of the FATMAN iTube amplifiers and dock for my 160gb apple ipod (containing WAVs). I am primarily interested in the iTube 182 and 252 models. Can I get any opinions or feelings about these models and which oen would be recommended. I will be using the amp in a 4x6 M bedroom. I already have a pair of Mordaunt Short 902i speakers and some Tannoy Mercury F1s.

Any advice would be helpful. Alternativley though, I have been looking at a DENON remote dock and amplifier, either the DRA700AE reciever or the PMA700 amplifier, any thoughts on these too?

Thanks in advance.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I did'nt see your posting hence the delayed reply;

In reverse order, I actually think the Denon PMA700 is a decent amplifier for the little money it costs and take it over the rotel. Slayed by one mag, praised by another. Its a structured sound with decent insight and reasonable attack without harshness though a little bit on the lean side. Good bass too. Its a re-worked PMA 355UK with almost the same circuit, which is/was a better amp (more drive) and available for half the price s/h. I recommended it a few times.

The cheaper Fatman amplifiers are nothing like it. Warm, big sounding with reasonable detail and punch. Archetipal valve sound as most would imagine a valve amp to sound. No my sort of tube sound but it might float your boat. Build is ok but not great but as you know, good features incl remote for the dock. I heard one even make the laughably pricey little Arcam Alto speakers sound reasonable. Proof if ever needed its all about system matching.

A

Anonymous

Thankyou for the useful response.

My other concern is that of wattage, the FATMAN amps I mentioned the 182 and 252 are 18w and 25w respectivley. This is a rather low wattge in comparison to the Denons which are 50w and 80w, would I notice a difference? The main reason for my concern is that I enjoy listening to my music at higher volumes, will these wattages restrict me?

Once again any advice is useful, thanks.

(P.S I mainly listen to rock/metal, if this is of any use)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Sammyd3mon"]

Thankyou for the useful response.

My other concern is that of wattage, the FATMAN amps I mentioned the 182 and 252 are 18w and 25w respectivley. This is a rather low wattge in comparison to the Denons which are 50w and 80w, would I notice a difference? The main reason for my concern is that I enjoy listening to my music at higher volumes, will these wattages restrict me?

Once again any advice is useful, thanks.

(P.S I mainly listen to rock/metal, if this is of any use)

[/quote]

They (Fatman) will go reasonably 'loud' with sensitive speakers but I certainly would'nt choose it for your preferred genres. Not necesseraly a wattage issue, just the way they sound.

Denon's are fine as mentioned before, especially for rock. If I remember right it has slightly recessed mids the upshot of which is you can turn it up without getting a headache.

Still, if you are considering spending £500 on a fatman I'd personally try and find another £100 or so and get a s/h cyrus 8vs2.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again.

I think the best thing for me to do now is go and have a listen to my options. Unfortunatly being relativley new to the world of Hi-Fi audio I am unsure of the best places to go. I live in the east midlands so I know a couple of Super-Fis near me (Birmingham and Nottingham) so I could try these. Should I take my own CD/iPod to listen to?

Any other ideas welcome, including reccommendations of similar products from other maufacturers (such as NAD).

Thanks.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Sammyd3mon"]

Thanks again.

I think the best thing for me to do now is go and have a listen to my options. Unfortunatly being relativley new to the world of Hi-Fi audio I am unsure of the best places to go. I live in the east midlands so I know a couple of Super-Fis near me (Birmingham and Nottingham) so I could try these. Should I take my own CD/iPod to listen to?

Any other ideas welcome, including reccommendations of similar products from other maufacturers (such as NAD).

Thanks.

[/quote]

Yes, take your pod and music with you. 4 or 5 tracks you know well will do the trick. Some people take to much music with them and get confused in the process especially if they audition a number of components.

I would suggest Marantzes 6002 or 7001 components as an in-between. A 'sort of' valvey smooth midrange with good drive and punch. Nad's are to soft imo. Perhaps someone else will contribute with opinions. I think I've outlived this thread. Good luck and let us know what you've settled for mate.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts