Fatman 202 valve Amp - bookshelf speaker advice

highfell

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I would like some advice please.I have a Fatman 202 Tube Amp Single Ended Class A with 20W Output which is paired with Mission 701 speakers.I have upgraded all of the Chinese Tubes to NOS GE 6550A and WE396 and I am really enjoying the sound but with high volumes and bass guitar, I get the infamous baffle rattle that some of the Missions show due to a fault with their manufacture - glue problems apparently. I would like to upgrade my speakers with more bookshelves as my wife won't entertain floorstanders. The speakers will sit on a large/heavy solid TV unit. At the moment my Missions are on blu-tack onto the moveable glass top of the unit. The sitting-room is large with soft furnishings, carpet & heavy curtains (especially over a set of French Windows). I like all music including classical but would tend towards prog rock both old Yes, Pink Floyd to new Riverside, Porcupine Tree, Gazpacho - some some heavy music but generally melodic and lots vocals & guitars.Because of the relative low Watt of the valve amplifier, I need high sensitivity speakers. The Mission 701 have a sensitivity of 89.I have done a little research and have come up with some possible options with the following high Sensitivity speakers1.Monitor Audio RX1 or RX2 2. Monitor Bronze BX2 3. Klipsch RB 51 or RB 61 4. Vintage Mission 751 (apparently a classic and one of Mission's best speaker).I have been told the Monitor Audios have a very neutral approach. By all accounts from reading reviews etc. the Klipsch's will be brighter, but maybe that will not be an issue with a Tube Amplifier. I have not heard any of them yet.My favoured option at this stage would be the Klipschs. The Amplifier has an output to a subwoofer which might be a nice compliment to the Klipsch's. I am not sure where in the UK, I can try out the Klipsch.Any comments, advice about any of the above mentioned choices or alternative Speakers and Subwoofers would be welcomed.Thank you

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I can only comment on a Fatman iTube (valve hybrid amp) that I used some years ago as a second system. I had great success with MA BR1s on 60cm Atacama stands.

I actually preferred the little BRs to the later BX versions. A far more relaxing listen over long periods. (The BX1s and RX1s try too hard.)

Have a listen - if you can find a dealer stocking them - to Castle Knight 2s. I preferred them in direct comparison with MA RX1s.

Nintendologist

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used exactly that amplifier, but I've had great success with Kef Q300s and a Fatman MiTube (which has even less output and is unmodified). To add extra bottom end I've used a Rel Quake which I've had for a number of years. They don't make this exact model anymore, but there is a smaller unit from Rel called the T Zero which is around £300 (the 'successor' to the Quake is the T5 at £450).

If you've got a local dealer worth their salt they should be able to lend you the kit for home demo.

Finally - I've got Monitor Audios on my main setup and absolutely love the MA sound overall, but I found the BX2s on the Fatman very thin on their own. Adding a subwoofer almost highlighted faults, with lots of top and bottom but lacking in midrange. Just my 2p worth!

highfell

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
The sub can wait for the moment as I have just pushed the button on some Revolver 3s.

Although, I favoured the Kilpsch, there just didn't seem to be enough universal love of them and there were some comments about the quality of their build.

The Revolvers on the otherhand had great write ups (from the pros) & everybody who owns them seems to love them.

"Stunning Revolver loudspeakers, the Revolver music 3 sound so sweet, they present a massive soundstage and yet manage to sound oh so natural with vocals with a lovely deep rich bass, a fantastic speaker at a very attractive price."

But they are hard to get to in the UK, so I have got them from Spain.

Thanks for your advice - will let you know how I get on.

highfell

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
For the record, the Revolver's are great. Wide 3D soundstage, deep enough bass & sweet mids. Good match for my valve amplifier and able to partner with both rock & classical music. Highly recommended.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts