Fact 3 or Fact 8s; anyone heard them??

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I know there are reviews in WHF, but just wondering whether anyone has heard either of these speakers in the flesh?

I think my Dynaudios are finally getting itchy feet to move on, and quite frankly the Fact 8s are the most beautiful speakers I have seen. Clearly I would listen before getting anywhere near purchasing but other forum members thoughts would be appreciated, especially if heard with Naim amplification.

thanks

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I have heard both. They sound ok and impressive for the size but I found the bass mainly consisted of bloated mid bass. The drivers are very small and so the design is heavily compromised in the bass. I agree they look excellent and maybe can be a good option if you like warm sound with a bit of sparkle and mainly on low to moderate volumes but I would give a low value for money to them.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I loved them on my demo. (Which was not with Naim because ive never been a fan, although thats just my preference). The source was a linn Majik, and the amp a Rega Osiris.

With well recorded music I felt they were the best speakers I have heard. They arent bass heavy, but I thought the bass was agile, detailed and fast, which is more important to me. The midrange and treble were, IMO of course, almost perfect.

I want a pair :oops:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
Here is a cut-out view:

I've seen the same cut out as you and heard them for a short time. Could have listened for longer but had the same findings as you. On this cut out view, the drivers look cheap and nasty, and it's really hard to see how the cost is justified, in sound or engineering. I would be surprised if they are an improvement on the OP's speakers.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
AlmaataKZ said:
Here is a cut-out view:

I've seen the same cut out as you and heard them for a short time. Could have listened for longer but had the same findings as you. On this cut out view, the drivers look cheap and nasty, and it's really hard to see how the cost is justified, in sound or engineering. I would be surprised if they are an improvement on the OP's speakers.

Thanks all for the opinions. I know that the Dynaudio Contours have always been a highly regarded speaker; the pair cost me £1200 about 11 years ago. I find it hard to believe that a £4k speaker will not sound significantly better, especially in terms of clarity and dynamics. I suppose I need to listen...

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
jockey.wilson said:
Thanks all for the opinions. I know that the Dynaudio Contours have always been a highly regarded speaker; the pair cost me £1200 about 11 years ago. I find it hard to believe that a £4k speaker will not sound significantly better, especially in terms of clarity and dynamics. I suppose I need to listen...

I think there is a big difference in sound signature between Dynaudio generally and the fact range from PMC. All the dynaudio speakers i have heard have been rather bass heavy (not heard the Contours tho), werheas i would say that the treble is much more prominent in the fact 8's.

Go book a demo and let us know hwo you get on :)

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
4 grand is a very good budget so take your time to understand what you want and do not buy on impulse. I e.g. Took more that a year to choose speakers and very happy I did not rush. It's not pocket change so betterr make sure you will be happy long term.

hukkfinn

May 3, 2009
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
I found the bass mainly consisted of bloated mid bass.

Um, just my opinion but I would have to disagree. Having extensively auditioned the Fact 3 and owned the Fact 8 for several months, it is clear that the bass does not consist mainly of bloated mid-bass. First, the bass goes very, very deep.

Second, the mid-bass, while admittedly less detailed and defined than in some other speakers that have larger drivers, is not over-emphasized or "bloated".

I would say these speakers are very good, clear, deep-sounding and engaging, although they are admittedly pricey and less detailed in the bass than other physically larger high-end models.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts