external phono stage

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Although I am very, very happy with my Sony and built-in phono stage, I have now bought another amplifier without built-in stage for a third system.

Has anyone heard or had experience with the following phono stage;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Project-Phono-Box-DS-in-Silver-Turntable-phono-stage-pre-amplifier-/290951713345?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item43be12d241

the switchable impedence is a feature I would want on any external phono stage. Not sure what else there is (affordable) that has this option.

The amp in question is a cyrus 8vs2.

regards

Hi drummerman, the DS is a good little device and appears to get good reviews.
However if I were you I'd keep my eye on a Trichord Dino currnently going with a low bid on a certain well-known auction site.
This will serve you better even though you'll need to mess with dip-switches on the underside.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks.

I saw it. Looks good but I'm sure it wont go for a few pounds :)

I'm outspent on hifi this month so may have to let this one slip. We'll see.

Didn't steve have one? RP6 ... Dino ... sounds very familiar.

regards

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes I got a used Dino Mk2 for £170 - trashed the Brio R stage, however when I got my Elicit R there was no difference with the Dynavector 10x5 so I decided to move it on - however in hindsight I should of probably just kept it as I know I will try a some Low Output MCs.
I would have no hesitation in getting one again

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Yes I got a used Dino Mk2 for £170 - trashed the Brio R stage, however when I got my Elicit R there was no difference with the Dynavector 10x5 so I decided to move it on - however in hindsight I should of probably just kept it as I know I will try a some Low Output MCs.

smiley-face-whistle-2.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Yes I got a used Dino Mk2 for £170 - trashed the Brio R stage, however when I got my Elicit R there was no difference with the Dynavector 10x5 so I decided to move it on - however in hindsight I should of probably just kept it as I know I will try a some Low Output MCs. I would have no hesitation in getting one again

Didn't you find the combination harsh? - The Dino looks good, I have to say. Must do some reading

regards

stevieg330

May 6, 2005
Visit site
ifor said:
Do have a look at the Graham Slee range before you spend your money.

Hi Drummerman,

I have the Trichord Dino and think it is a very good phono stage although I haven't compared it to the Rega one. I have also tried the Graham Slee stages, both the Reflex C and the Reflex M with Elevator. Both are extremely good and a step up from the Dino. More detail and realism were the main benefits I felt.

Obviously they are considerably more than the Dino, expecially the combo, so you would expect them to be better but I think for the money, the Dino is great.

HTH

Steve

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thank you everyone.

I am in process of may be buying some Kef References so the stage has to take a back step for a month but failing that (or not) I will take all the helpful advise into consideration.

There is probably a limit to what my turntables/cartridges are capable of so around the £200 mark is probably about the limit for the moment. Having said that, a better one will not limit me in the future.

regards

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
If at all poss D , try to dem as many as you can. Yes its a ruddy faff but worth it long term. For example , stick a Trichord Diablo or Dino for that matter , next to a Lehman Decade and the difference in presentation is quite profound. The Trichords are far more forward than the Lehman. See where I'm coming from D.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
My cyrus amp projects quite well so I'd probably want something evenly balanced but I see what you mean.

Only problem is trying out phono stages is not so easy. Not to big a deal though as all those discussed are quality products so I can always re-sell.

regards

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
floyd droid said:
If at all poss D , try to dem as many as you can. Yes its a ruddy faff but worth it long term. For example , stick a Trichord Diablo or Dino for that matter , next to a Lehman Decade and the difference in presentation is quite profound. The Trichords are far more forward than the Lehman. See where I'm coming from D.

How does the Graham Slee Communicator compare with those?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
BigH said:
floyd droid said:

How does the Graham Slee Communicator compare with those?

The only Slee I've heard is the Reflex M, but I intend to build myself the Slee DAK Genera sometime in the future to partner my SL-7. If you want to find out how they compare across the range you can arrange a two week home loan of all of them, except the self build Genera.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Well, I got a Project Phono-Box SE.

Its no Dino for sure but I got it for £50 and will do the jobbie until I've figured out where my system is going. It also gives me some cartridge matching options, something I was looking for and I can sell on without loss in due course.

regards

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Good to hear you are sorted.

I've got a Graham Slee communicator 2 on home demo and I am not convinced. It sounds like it has a bass boost effect that muddies the lower midrange/upper bass.

I've seen a Leema Elements phono stage on offer so might give that a go next.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to hear that PMBrown. I hope you get on well with the leema. Bit of a minefield these external stages.

Got to say, I am very impressed with the SE. Very dynamic, quiet, clear and well extended at both ends. Not clinical and not veiled ... just as is, cool. Very good build too.

Unfortunately the loading choices applies only to MC's. Still, can't have everything.

regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts