Ex Machina....

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Watched this, an interesting movie - it's roots are in West World and AI - mans desire to create his Adam.

But I'm not sure the film was about AI or its 'creation' it was more about man's vanity.

The AI in the movie was a very sophisticated chess computer - but the game it was designed for was not chess but 'social' chess, the interaction between people.

It was funny because while the robot could mimic emotion, gestures all pre programmed with the appropriate responses it did not understand consequences or assign any moral 'weight' to choices......

It's creator although supposedly a genius did not fully understand intelligence......

Any of you guys seen it, what did you think?

jjbomber

Thompsonuxb said:
Watched this, an interesting movie - it's roots are in West World and AI - mans desire to create his Adam.

But I'm not sure the film was about AI or its 'creation' it was more about man's vanity.

Any of you guys seen it, what did you think?

I related a lot of it to Alan Turing. Indeed, they reference the Turing Test on several occasions. Nathan's isolated home could be Bletchley. The scene where AVA says not to trust Nathan is the same as Turing being advised not to trust one of his team, who indeed was a Russian spy. Similarly, the questions of sexuality in the film are referencing Turing's problems in 1940s Britain. Eventually Turing would kill himself, or did he? He may have accidently poisoned himself. Similarly did Nathan want the robots to kill him to prove that they had AI?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts