Erratic speaker driver movement from vinyl

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, recently my Marantz PM66SE KI Signature died (caught fire actually) so as an interim I bought an Onkyo TX-8050 for it's network and streaming capabilities. Although very pleased with this amp I do have excessive speaker driver movement when playing vinyl. I didn't expect the phone stage to be as good on the Onkyo as the Marantz but I didn't get any speaker movement with the Marantz and I'm using the same Goldring GR2 turntable with a 1042 cartridge and B&W DM601 S2 speakers.

Does anyone have any ideas please? will I damage my amp/speakers?

Thanks

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Onkyo probably has a lower low-frequency cut-off than the Marantz. This means record surface warp frequencies (a few Hertz) are being amplified. I wouldn't worry unless your speaker drivers are hitting the end stops.

You need a rumble filter button - like Sinclair amps in the 1970s had...

Yes, noogle has said exactly what I would have written. On modest amps it makes sense to roll off the subsonic bass a little, but the Onkyo may have a peak that coincides with a peak output from your arm/cartidge combo. Warps on records will cause cone wobble but no useful output.

The other possibility is the Maratz had a better damping factor, controlling the bass cones better. Just check the speaker cables are securely fastened on the replacement.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. Might try an independant pre amp then.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts