Epoz Aktimate Mai v AVI ADM 9.1

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi all

I am looking to purchase some active speakers and have narrowed down my choice to either the Epoz Aktimate Maxi and the ADM 9.1's - My question is what am I getting extra by purchasing the ADM's over the Epoz?

Thanks...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You gain onboard digital to analogue conversion with optical digital input and a true active design with an amplifier dedicated to each drive unit, rather than a powered passive configuration; you lose an integrated iPod dock, USB input, wi-fi, internet radio and FM tuner.

John Duncan

YouTou also gain better organisation and accuracy, at the expense of bass response, which I found inadequate in the avis (though you could fix that with a sub no doubt, but then you're getting to three times the cost)

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

You gain onboard digital to analogue conversion with optical digital input and a true active design with an amplifier dedicated to each drive unit, rather than a powered passive configuration; you lose an integrated iPod dock, USB input, wi-fi, internet radio and FM tuner.

Does the Epoz not have onboard digital to analogue conversion, I'm assuming if you transmit via wi-fi from a laptop the Epoz will do the converting?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well then you're sorted: the AVIs won't let you connect your laptop in either of those ways, so the Aktimates it is, even though they won't let you connect a computer via USB...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
northernsoul:How would you compare the sound quality between the 2 units?

Listen to the same piece of music on both and see which you prefer.

Eyethangyooo! I'm here all week, try the buffalo...

A

Anonymous

I am not a hi-fi officianado at all and I got a pair of aktimate micros for my pc which I think are amazing and I decided I'd like the maxis. I found someone selling a pair that I can afford. My question is this. On my micros, if I attach via a 3.5mm to 3.5mm phono jack, I get a lot of hum, as if the cable is acting like an antenna. I got around this with the micro by connecting via USB which I assumed would be fine on the maxi but I discovered that neither the mini nor the maxi has a usb connector (they have a usb-host connector to connect storage devices). I am really worried about the maxis humming like the micros. The guy who is selling them says they don't hum with anything connected to them but he obviously doesn't use the 3.5mm to 3.5mm connector. Can anyone with the maxis tell me whether they have any problem with humming when they connect via the 3.5mm and could I connect my laptop to them wirelessly and use them for music and gaming? I really love the micros and want the maxis, I am just bitterly disappointed they don't have the usb connector. I have looked at alternatives like the B+W MM-1 and Focal XS Book but they are expensive and I can't see them being as good and they have the same problem I think.

TRENDING THREADS