Epos - Spendor - PMC

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I am looking to see if anyone around has compared these in demo or upgrade. I used to have an Arcam A70 and CD73 but recently upgraded to Arcam FMJ A32 and CD36 due to a fairly hefty price drop in preparation for their new releases. Combined with new Chord Silverscreen cable i noticed quite an improvement in the overall sound - and i guess i should given the price of the FMJ's were £1200 a week or so ago. Anyway i am left with Epos M5 speakers - nothing wrong with them at all, in fact i really like them but i cant help wondering what a c£800 speaker pairing would do to the sound now. I am limited to size and need close to the wall ability so my preferred shortlist is............... Spendor S3/5R.............. Spendor SA1 (yes i know these are over £1000)................ PMC DB1i................. I will try certainly and audition these - but given this can be difficult sometimes i wondered if there were any comparative opinions here - especially if i am actually wasting my time to a degree and should stay with Epos M5 given their are great for their price. Thanks

A

Anonymous

PMC DB1, Spendor S3/5R and SA1 - quite a mix of different sounds there so would be a great audition list. The Spendors will suck up amp power like you wouldn't believe but you have plenty on tap so they should shine. You'll find the SA1 more involving than the 3/5. Why not add the Dynaudio Focus range to your list too.

The change should bring you a good step up in detail, and given your amp and source it will be worth it! You can see what I have in my signature below. I moved from MA RS1s to the Spendors and found a HUGE difference in focus, soundstage, detail, etc, etc, etc.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I am quite pleased that the Spendor SA1 will potentially have a big improvement - it will be nice to have something to work towards in the future.

I wasnt aware there would be a massive difference betweeen the 3 choices i had shortlisted - i thought the two Spendors would be quite similar. Are you able to articulate what is the main differences are ?

I did look into Dynaudio but they have a box size that is just a tad too deep for my locations so hence the shortlist is quite tailored - this will actually help in the long run as it makes the choices are bit more specific.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I would have thought your new amplifier makes a good match with your M5's. Coincidentally, I had both the SA1 and DB1i at home on loan recently. Both very good speakers but voiced differently. I'd say neither one is a good match for the Arcam and both definitively need space around them! Personally I'd partner the FMJ only with open, detailed and slightly forward voiced speakers such as your Epos/Rega's or Proac studios if you want to spend more. Thats not to take anything away from the two you suggested, imo they just partner better with fortright, more powerful sounding amplification than your arcam.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Useful advice thank you - as you suggest i may already have close to a perfect match given the room limitations at the moment - but you cant help but wonder what if............One other thought then is the Proac Tablette Signature 8 which i hear is another highly recommended speaker in the same price bracket..............However i suspect i will give one of the choices a demo just to try it and see and then if i cant find a better match ill stick with the Epos. I have only high admiration for the Epos anyway at its price level and it is a great match for the Arcam - i just couldnt help myself explore the next possible upgrade path.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]I had both the SA1 and DB1i at home on loan recently.[/quote]

Hey DM. How did they compare with the Proac studios? Particularly interested in comparison with the PMC as was intending to demo the TB2i but decided not to in the end. And what amp did you use?? cheers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JAXON5"][quote user="drummerman"]I had both the SA1 and DB1i at home on loan recently.[/quote] Hey DM. How did they compare with the Proac studios? Particularly interested in comparison with the PMC as was intending to demo the TB2i but decided not to in the end. And what amp did you use?? cheers[/quote]

PSX'd cyrus8vs2/Flying Mole. The Studios are slightly drier and more open sounding than either two with better dynamics and low level resolution. Both the PMC/Spendors have a warmer lower midrange and both have a more even treble but part of the reason I like the studios (and epos/regas) is that the treble sounds real. Its not grating just shows whats on the disc. I did'nt like the PMC's bass as much as the studios. There's more but not as good as the proacs where you can hear a double bass without muddle and clearly delineated as it should be with a real instrument. The Spendors have what I would call the classic plastic cone colorations ie. a slightly 'quacky, muddled' midrange though this is minute and only really noticeable when comparing directly with paper coned speakers. They are lovely listenable and integrated though, nothing distracts. They are all good speakers and I can understand why people would choose the others. It's just the kind of sound I like.

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"] I did'nt like the PMC's bass as much as the studios. [/quote]

I was comparing PMC DB1i to B&W CM7 recently and had the same feeling. I almost thought that DB1i is just too small to have as good bass. CM7 is much bigger speaker (depth wise).

By the way did you have a chance to listen to CM7 (~£1k)?

A

Anonymous

I'm concerned that you've just upgraded to some expensive bits and want to change speakers too. It sounds like you're not truely satisfied and it may turn into an upgrade spiral. I've been there, and it can be hard emotionally.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
The magazines have a lot to answer for :) ...............i love reading about all the different choices and great products but it can leave you feeling ever unsatisfied saying what if i had that upgrade etc..........I upgraded last year from a NAD system (which i had for over 8 years so this is all a pretty recent hobby ) to Arcam. Then i caught the upgrade bug once i heard how much better my new system was compared to the old one and a couple of weeks ago upgraded again my Arcams to the FMJ range (although i admit only did this as the price of the A32 and CD36 was more than halved at one local store in preparation for the newest models)......... This said i noticed a great improvement so was very very happy with paying the extra and i got almost all my money back selling on the old Arcams as i had bought those in a sale previously as well (I do look out for good prices)............... As you point out i am only really considering the speaker change because i have a more expensive amp and cd player now. I am just interested at the moment on the relative improvement as i do like the Epos M5's very much.................. If i do change the speakers (which is not certain yet) it would be the last change i consider making for the next 8 years as after all the upgrading and tweaking etc i do now feel i now have a system i am delighted with and one that is trickier to better without a massive cost outlay like a new house with a dedicated music room................although the Primare range looks so neat - aaarrrggghhh.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
This weekend i was able to tryout my Epos M5's directly against some Monitor Audio BR5's and some RS1's while visiting my brother. It was a very interesting test, given the BR 5's are floorstanders they certainly gave the music a more powerful bassline almost to the point that it became the focus of the listening........... Detail was good on both the BR 5's and RS 1's but i have to say that the Epos completely beat both the others for its clarity, pace and detail - it was like a sheen had been lifted off the music to let you hear it better.........That said i can now better understand why some people love some speakers more than others, if you want bass at this price point and want it pronounced then im sure you would appreciate the BR 5's over the standmounts - but i am now more certain that i prefer the bass to be firm and detailed and have the mid range and vocals more detailed...........The quality of the Epos are beginning to grow on me, although i would still like to test at least one in the £700 bracket just to see................ My latest interest is in the Leema Xero following the What Hi-Fi group test - anyone actually own a Leema ?

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Ok not much response to Leema Xero and not many demo places either that i can find ................ However i did get the chance today to listen to some Spendor SA1 at a local store. Well they look fantastic just to start with and they do sound really rather good with a lot of depth for such small speakers (smaller even than my Epos) ................. Whilst i would certainly be happy to add them to my future purchase list, when i returned home and listened to my M5's again i was happily surprised that they stood up really well............. Epos attack things a bit more and this actually works well with the Arcam but you can hear quality in the Spendor ....................... I have therefore settled into a nice conclusion that i have no need to rush into spending an extra £1k on speakers which are great quality but actually not as far in front of the M5's which were £250 as i thought they might be ............. It was an enlightening listen and i may return for another demo soon once my wallet could actually take the Spendor purchase.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="crusaderlord"]
Ok not much response to Leema Xero and not many demo places either that i can find ................ However i did get the chance today to listen to some Spendor SA1 at a local store. Well they look fantastic just to start with and they do sound really rather good with a lot of depth for such small speakers (smaller even than my Epos) ................. Whilst i would certainly be happy to add them to my future purchase list, when i returned home and listened to my M5's again i was happily surprised that they stood up really well............. As mentioned by another poster the Spendor's seemed a little more laid back (thats not a criticism as they were excellent) whilst the Epos attack things a bit more and this actually works well with the Arcam ....................... I have therefore settled into a nice conclusion that i have no need to rush into spending an extra £1k on speakers which are great quality but actually not as far in front of the M5's which were £250 as i thought they might be ............. It was an enlightening listen and i will return for another demo soon once my wallet could actually take the Spendor purchase.
[/quote]

I think you came to an excellent conclusion and proof that throwing cash at it is not always the solution though the spendors and some of the others you've mentioned are very good speakers and will shine in sympathetically matched systems. Try Rega's R3 (another very competitively priced product amongst many overpriced ones) and you may find it'll be a worthwile upgrade over the baby epos'es. Imo its the only worthwile upgrade for reasonable money other than ProAcs Studios/Epos 12.2 or Rega's own R5 depending on room size/system.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
If i could create a little more space in the room (may need some severe bargaining tactics with my wife) i will definately give the Rega 3 a try. I also am quite keen on having the Epos 12.2 given they may add a little bit extra to what i already like about the M5's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts