Epos ES 14. Is worthwhile to buy them?

goodman

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
I´ve seen an advertisement of a old EPOS ES14 in good condition.

Anyone can to give a impression and comments about this speakers?.

I´ve heard that the EPOS ES14 are the perfect match for a integrated amplifier like Musical Fidelity A1.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
This was always one of the great affordable loudspeakers, a pair in really good condition would definitely be worth having.

However, they need a fair amount of space around them, at least 2 feet out from the back wall.

They need their own open frame stand to sound at their best.

And of course they need good amplification. Following a positive review, Musical Fidelity amps became a popular partner for the ES14, this didn't last too long as the amps blew up the ES14 with tedious regularity.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
It's a transparent, spacious sounding speaker with a good sound stage. It is well capable of showing differences in amplification and sound source so use something decent. I really like them - a window to the soul! It would take something special (and definitely something too expensive ) for me to replace them. They are an excellent match for my naim unitilite.

tonky

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
tonky said:
It's a transparent, spacious sounding speaker with a good sound stage. It is well capable of showing differences in amplification and sound source so use something decent. I really like them - a window to the soul! It would take something special (and definitely something too expensive ) for me to replace them. They are an excellent match for my naim unitilite.

tonky

Given their relative affordability in their day, these are beautiful speakers. They might look a bit clunky compared to the modern style, but once you have then wired up then you will quickly realise why they often crop up in forum posts. There are lots of discussions about how the metal tweeter can sound a bit bright, and how the bass can be a bit light, but that really is just splitting hairs. They are a very involving speaker, nicely balanced and just draw you into the music. I have never struggled with shouty treble, the bass is very taut which compensates for a perceived lack of quantity, but the midrange is utterly captivating.

I have owned a set for over 20 years, and I have tried to move on to more modern designs as my wife hates the look of them. They have moved house numerous times, been stored for months, but they are on my stands and I will never part with them. For me they are the yardstick against which I judge other speakers, and at the price that I can afford then it is fair to say that I do not expect to find such a good balance in one box again.

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
I used to have a pair and really enjoyed them. They're certainly worth a listen, even now. The only thing that would worry me is the possible lack of availability of spare drive units.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Ketan Bharadia said:
I used to have a pair and really enjoyed them. They're certainly worth a listen, even now. The only thing that would worry me is the possible lack of availability of spare drive units.

These are solid, well made, speakers. My pair are well over 20 years old. In that time, around 10 years in, a small tear developed in the cone of one of the bass/mid units. I was able to get that repaired by Creek, who had taken over Epos by that time. However, they had warned me, even then, that some components were unobtainable. I can imagine that the situation has only deteriorated since then.

i have heard of some owners buying a second set just so they can harvest spares and keep them going. It sounds a bit drastic, but I guess that people become rather attached to them.

goodman

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks you for the comments.

I believe that the EPOS ES14 are the best match for my old Musical Fidelity A1. Better than the QUAD 11L.

There are other models like EPOS M12 or EPOS M5i but I like the ES14.

Also I´ve heard good things about the HEYBROOK HB1. These speakers are other model recommed for my old amplifier. I´ve found a old HB1 at price of 120 pounds.

goodman said:
Thanks you for the comments.

I believe that the EPOS ES14 are the best match for my old Musical Fidelity A1. Better than the QUAD 11L.

There are other models like EPOS M12 or EPOS M5i but I like the ES14.

You do not say how much the wanted for the ES14's however all the above mentioned praise / cautions still apply.

The HB1's are another classic and these I have actually owned, along with a pair of HB3's that were delivered personally by the then Managing Director, a certain Peter Comeau..

If they are in good condition then £120 is a fair price and you stand more chance of being able to find spare transducers for these.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I was an avid reader/hoarder of all the hifi mags circa 1977. It always stuck in my mind his signature name of Peter J Comeau. Keith Howard, Alvin Gold and Paul Messenger were from that era too

cheers tonky

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
£120 for Heybrook HB1's is more than I'd pay for them.

Last time I checked you could buy a pair that needed refoaming for £2 to £25. A refoam kit costs £20.

For £120, I'd be looking for HB3's if you want to stick with Heybrook.

lindsayt said:
£120 for Heybrook HB1's is more than I'd pay for them.

Last time I checked you could buy a pair that needed refoaming for £2 to £25. A refoam kit costs £20.

For £120, I'd be looking for HB3's if you want to stick with Heybrook.

Having re-checked you are quite correct regards pricing, decent re-foamed etc HB1's would appear to have dropped in price somewhat and would suggest that a pair (sorted) and in very good condition, and possibly with stands, should be available in the region of £60-80

If the OP is looking for smallish standmounts they I wouldn't suggest he looks at HB3's - these speakers are 'large' and I mean large enough to require a big listening room. If standmounters are what he wants then suggest he stick with the ES14's or decide if HB1's are worth it, or indeed wait for some cheaper HB1's to appear (there are some much cheaper on eBay at the moment along with new rubber kit and re-foam kits, these kits being below £20 each.)

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
This post is like a review of my hifi history!

My first ever set of speakers were the the Heybrook HB1s.

A cracking little speaker which I believe are still running somewhere 20 odd years after I sold them.

I moved on to the Epos ES 14s. I brought them from new. A fantastic speaker but sadly as has been mentioned, one went pop and I couldn't find a replacement driver. I was gutted as they pretty much ended up in the bin. What a waste. I really liked the sound of them and I would recommend you give them a try, but with the massive caveat that you may find it difficult to repair them if they do get damaged.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
tonky said:
If you don't mind me asking Paul - How much did you pay for them new (and what year approx)?

cheers tonky

Blimey. Now you're asking!

I bought them new in around 1992 to 94. I can't remember exactly. I have a feeling they were in the region of £600 but it was a while ago now. I do remember them being good though and I was disappointed when one went pop and I couldn't repair it.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Instead of the ES 14 go for second hand ES 11. I had them for 22 years and just parted with them 1,5 years ago.

When i bought the ES 11 new in 1991, they stopped selling the ES 14 because the 11 had softer treble and almost the same bass, and surely tighter.

Paul Clarke said:
tonky said:
If you don't mind me asking Paul - How much did you pay for them new (and what year approx)?

cheers tonky

Blimey. Now you're asking!

I bought them new in around 1992 to 94. I can't remember exactly. I have a feeling they were in the region of £600 but it was a while ago now. I do remember them being good though and I was disappointed when one went pop and I couldn't repair it.

It is always worth bearing in mind that if the drivers do go pop and you cannot find the exact replacements it is nearly always possible to find a modern equivalent that will fit the enclosue. Don't just bin them. They may not sound exactly the same after fitting (they may in fact sound better) but at the very least you have a workng pair of speakers that you can keep / sell on.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
tonky said:

cheers tonky

FWIW. The ES14s were £295 in 1987.

I bought mine in around 1990 and they cost me £450 IIRC. They were ex-demo, so I probably got a small discount.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
It would have to be in excellent condition etc. You pays your money etc

I bought mine 9 years ago approx - mint - bi wire cable and epos open cage stands. All for 100£ - now I thought that was a bargain - so superior to the pair of JBL 20Ti speakers (275£ ) I purchased 28 years ago.

tonky

goodman

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Also I´ve found a pair of REGA RS3 speakers at price of 350 pounds and perhaps I decide to buy those product. Maybe be better option than the EPOS ES14 because I like the classic "english sound" with not-bright treble.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Highly recommended speaker. I owned a pair in the early 1990s, drove them with a Naim NAC72/HiCap/NAP140 amp combo and a Marantz CD-10 as the source. Thoroughly enjoyable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts