Epos Epic 5 v Mission 752 Freedom..Upgrade or sideways move?

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi all, I am finding it difficult to find a stockist local to me in Bristol where I can audition the epos epic 5. Reviews I've read online favour this speaker. However, would it be a sideways move from my Mission 752 Freedoms or even worse, a backwards move? Advice please Cheers

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Not heard the Epos Epic 5 speakers, but I did own a pair of Epos M22i which are a similiar spec to the Epic 5's. When I picked up my own Mission 752's I did a rudimentary A/B test and to be honest I couldn't hear much difference, which prompted me to sell on the M22i's and keep the 752's. Both very fine speakers.

I thought you had original 752's rather than the Freedom model?

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
@DIB: I cannot believe you heard no difference between the speakers!

The Epos in general have a sweet sound, but are very musical. There will be differences between the various Epos-speakers too. I think the 22i and the Epic-5 will be different too. I have my ES-11's for 21 years. The Epics have been compared to the ES-series for their (sweet) sound. I listen to them with valves. Very satisfying combination! The standmount Epic-2 could be a possibility too. Go and listen, and judge by your ears! Good luck!

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
I thought you had original 752's rather than the Freedom model?

Yes, had original 752's but after living with them for a short while I found them to be a bit too fatiguing. The freedoms are smoother and non fatiguing in my system.

Guess it's down to system synergy and room acoustics which is why the freedoms fit the bill. That's not to say the original 752's are fine speakers :)

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Rethep said:

The Epos in general have a sweet sound, but are very musical. There will be differences between the various Epos-speakers too. I think the 22i and the Epic-5 will be different too. I have my ES-11's for 21 years. The Epics have been compared to the ES-series for their (sweet) sound. I listen to them with valves. Very satisfying combination! The standmount Epic-2 could be a possibility too. Go and listen, and judge by your ears! Good luck!

Have recently changed from Kef q300 standmounts and prefer the larger sense of scale and depth offered by floorstanders. So epic 2's are not an option.

As for going and listening, there does not seem to be a stockist near to me in Bristol. Besides, shop demo's are all well and good but you can't judge what the speaker is going to sound like in your own home acoustics IMHO.

Will give this some more thought because I don't want to change speakers for the sake of it. Just fancy something a bit newer than my 752's....at some point :)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Rethep said:

Not MUCH difference, rather than NO.

Anyway, it just goes to show what I've been thinking for a while now, my ears ain't what they used to be
smiley-cry.gif

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Pike900fish said:
Have recently changed from Kef q300 standmounts and prefer the larger sense of scale and depth offered by floorstanders. So epic 2's are not an option.

According to the specs there is not much difference in bass between Epic 2 and 5. A review stated that the Epic 5 has less bass than expected, compared to other standmounts. So then maybe you can skip both from your list ? How about a bigger Kef (R500,700,900). Not all of them are cheap!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I agree, I have listened to the Epos Epic 5 speakers. I think their got open forward midrange sound, but not to say its harsh or anything, far from it. light on Bass but very well controlled.

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
How about a bigger Kef (R500,700,900). Not all of them are cheap!

[/quote]

Yes...I have also thought about the new Kef R series. I did like the q300's but were too big IMO as a standmount. Whilst my 752's are bigger volume wise, the increased size is better distributed and not so intrusive in my listening room.

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Glad to hear you have had a chance to listen to a pair of epic 5's.

I too have read that the bass is a bit "light" for the size of speaker

More thought me thinks...will live with my excellent 752's for a bit longer...don't want to change for the sake of it especially if the epic 5's give me a different sound rather than better.