Entry/Mid Level Stereo Setup

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Which is the best option amongst following stereo amps and bookshelf speakers:

1. NAD 355BEE + PSB Synchrony 2 B

2. Cambridge Audio Azur 650A + Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2

3. Marantz PM7003 + Jamo C 803

Price wise option 1 is most expensive and 2 least expensive. Would option 1 be worth the extra money? Not possible for me to demo above at the same time so will go with advise. Please feel free to suggest different combinations amongst the equipment mentioned above.

Amongst Amplifiers, Marantz PM6003 has 5 star rating but I feel it may be underpowered and maybe PM 7003 would be a better buy. Cant find its reviews so cannot compare it to 4 star rated NAD and Cambridge mentioned above both of which are 4 star rated. Would B&W 685 be a better fit with the amps above? Similarly am unable to find reviews of Jamo and PSB speakers mentioned above. How would they compare with Mezzo 2 or B&W 685?

Any help would be appreciated. Don't want to consider anything besides those mentioned in this post. Thanks!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Devesh Gupta:
Which is the best option amongst following stereo amps and bookshelf speakers:

1. NAD 355BEE + PSB Synchrony 2 B

2. Cambridge Audio Azur 650A + Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2

3. Marantz PM7003 + Jamo C 803

Price wise option 1 is most expensive and 2 least expensive. Would option 1 be worth the extra money? Not possible for me to demo above at the same time so will go with advise. Please feel free to suggest different combinations amongst the equipment mentioned above.

Amongst Amplifiers, Marantz PM6003 has 5 star rating but I feel it may be underpowered and maybe PM 7003 would be a better buy. Cant find its reviews so cannot compare it to 4 star rated NAD and Cambridge mentioned above both of which are 4 star rated. Would B&W 685 be a better fit with the amps above? Similarly am unable to find reviews of Jamo and PSB speakers mentioned above. How would they compare with Mezzo 2 or B&W 685?

Any help would be appreciated. Don't want to consider anything besides those mentioned in this post. Thanks!

The Jamos received 5 stars in the WHF review in 2007. They were priced at £700 and a remark given was, "for those who just want to sit back and enjoy the music". I was going to buy them back then. They are beautiful to look at but I've not listened to them.

I'm not impressed by the Mezzo 2s. I've not heard the PSB speakers but I didn't like the NAD amp. I would guess that the Marantz and Jamo combo would be very nice. But, try to audition!

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Devesh Gupta:

Why the obsession with star ratings? They don't mean anything in the real world. Your ears should be the only determiner of star ratings. If you can't listen, then try and read as many different reviews of the equipment that you listed. You'll find very diverging opinions and ratings, which of course won't be of very much help to you and only makes things more confusing. The bottom line is that you cannot spend your money on buying something just based on reviews and other people's opinions. This way is going to be very much a hit or miss affair and you might end up with something that you don't like in the end. Try and make the effort to go and audition as many combinations from your list as possible. At least then you won't end up with something that you don't like.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts