Electricity bills just shot up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Anyone shed some light on likely power consumption issues with amplifiers; I have a Plinius P10, M8 and chord QBD76 power a paid of MA Platinum 100's and my leccy bills shot from £35 a month to £120.

I was told to leave the power amp P10 on all the time (you can't put in standby anyway), and put the M8 pre amp in standby when not in use, but is this still eating a lot of electricity?

Thanks

T

the record spot

What's the power consumption? My Sansui amp draws 700+ watts, but I think that would be if it were giving it big licks as opposed to sitting idle.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
woollyjoe:I was told to leave the power amp P10 on all the time (you can't put in standby anyway), and put the M8 pre amp in standby when not in use, but is this still eating a lot of electricity?

Power/current consumption for P10...

0.4A (92W) Class AB Idle

0.01A (2.3W) Standby

Power/current consumption for M8...

0.08A (18W) Idle/Standby

Figures from Plinius' own website.

Messiah

There is no way those electronics would have caused that increase. There must be another cause.

Perhaps the bills have been estimated for a while and now they have an accurate read and have found out what your consumption really is. How do you pay, monthly direct debit, quarterly??

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Indeed.

Our whole household bill (quarterly) averages around £180 and thats with four people and goodness knows how many appliances and lightbulbs on the go.

If you are in a shared premises then get the electricity company to investigate if some unscrupulous soul is 'tapping' from your supply.

If not, then get them to check/calibrate/replace your meter.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I reckon Messiah's right.

My own lecky DD payments have recently gone from £36 a month to £72, this was after a recent meter reading.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I can also recommend buying an electricity monitor unit, which lets you know exactly how much juice you're using, plus keeps a running average (and if you input your tarriff, even gives your usage in pounds and pence).

Since running one of these (which I got free from my energy supplier), i've found out that my system is by far from being the worst offender - the fan oven, grill and dishwasher are much worse culprits. And the peak when you boil a kettle
emotion-3.gif

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Yep,have the same here,plus when I see my wife using her hair dryer [long hair] gives me palpitations watching the monitor shoot up.Ha. But having said that have been able to reduce consumption by a good 15%,by being more careful/efficient with things though.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

I can also recommend buying an electricity monitor unit, which lets you know exactly how much juice you're using, plus keeps a running average (and if you input your tarriff, even gives your usage in pounds and pence).

Since running one of these (which I got free from my energy supplier), i've found out that my system is by far from being the worst offender - the fan oven, grill and dishwasher are much worse culprits. And the peak when you boil a kettle
emotion-3.gif

Kettles do use a lot of power, but only for a short period. My kettle is 3kw and takes 3minutes to boil if full. Kwh per use is 0.15. The amp in question uses 98w on standby. Assuming 22 hours standby a day gives 2.15 kwh to do nothing at all- equivalanet to boiling a full kettle 14.3 times. Leaving the amp on standby is a serious waste of energy.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I agree with Clare, I work for one of the big energy companies and the biggest difference you can make to your bills is knowing what sucks the most energy and using a monitor really opens your eyes to your usage, in fact, when using a monitor you can become really anal about it. Most of the big companies now offer a free monitor on their plans so well worth investigating.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts