Electric shocks and hifi amp grounding

Hi all and thanks for having me. Wondered if anyone could help me with my wide-eyed amateur wonderings. My eyes were widened particularly far last week by receiving a small electric shock form the minijack audio cable connected to my separate hifi amplifier - first time it's ever happened. Unsure exactly what just happened I touched it again, and again got the same small shock. I touched it a third time, inadvertantly also touching my laptop chassis with my left hand, and this time got a much bigger shock. Showing uncharacteristic wisdom, I did not touch it again.

Until today, determined to pursue the matter and see if the internet could help. But it's not shocking me anymore, and the internet has not been much help.

Could it have been static, or does the fact it shocked three times in succession exclude that possibility?

At that point a TV was also connected to my hifi, which isn't right now. So I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

So my main question regards what I found when I opened the hifi amp's (UK) mains power plug - no earth wire. Just Live and Neutral. Is this normal/safe, and could it have anything to do with my shock? The amp has a grounding screw-clamp thing on the rear of the chassis, with nothing connected to it. Do I need to find a way to ground this amp? My separate CD player mains plug is the same.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Simon Thrope said:
Hi all and thanks for having me. Wondered if anyone could help me with my wide-eyed amateur wonderings. My eyes were widened particularly far last week by receiving a small electric shock form the minijack audio cable connected to my separate hifi amplifier - first time it's ever happened. Unsure exactly what just happened I touched it again, and again got the same small shock. I touched it a third time, inadvertantly also touching my laptop chassis with my left hand, and this time got a much bigger shock. Showing uncharacteristic wisdom, I did not touch it again.

Until today, determined to pursue the matter and see if the internet could help. But it's not shocking me anymore, and the internet has not been much help.

Could it have been static, or does the fact it shocked three times in succession exclude that possibility?

At that point a TV was also connected to my hifi, which isn't right now. So I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

So my main question regards what I found when I opened the hifi amp's (UK) mains power plug - no earth wire. Just Live and Neutral. Is this normal/safe, and could it have anything to do with my shock? The amp has a grounding screw-clamp thing on the rear of the chassis, with nothing connected to it. Do I need to find a way to ground this amp? My separate CD player mains plug is the same.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Get it checked by an electrician.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS