Question ELAC Debut Ref. DBR62 - what amp?

Black Boar

Dec 31, 2020
Visit site
Hello,

Yesterday a pair of ELAC Debut Reference DBR62 arrived at my lair and now I’m in need of an amplifier. These speakers are on the warmer side, they’re balanced (even too balanced for some), laid back. They’re standing in a small room, which is a factor.

In case one is interested, one can read a detailed review right here (graphs and measurements included).

The situation is slightly unusual, because I’m a metalhead (mostly classic heavy metal and atmospheric black). However, contrary to the stereotype, I rarely crank up the volume; I enjoy natural, dynamic sound, and thus I buy only old uncompressed CD pressings or Vinyl.

I’d rather not buy an amp more expensive than 500$ unless there’s something exceptional slightly beyond that price range, in which case I’m ready to eat maggots for a month to save more money.

I’d be grateful for some suggestions from more experienced than me. Personally I'm thinking about something from Onkyo, like A-9110, A-9130, or A-9150. I don’t need digital inputs as I prefer an external DAC, but A-9110 is 2x50W while the other two are 2x60W (the recommended power for my speakers is 120W+).

Best Regards

robdmarsh

Hello,

Yesterday a pair of ELAC Debut Reference DBR62 arrived at my lair and now I’m in need of an amplifier. These speakers are on the warmer side, they’re balanced (even too balanced for some), laid back. They’re standing in a small room, which is a factor.

In case one is interested, one can read a detailed review right here (graphs and measurements included).

The situation is slightly unusual, because I’m a metalhead (mostly classic heavy metal and atmospheric black). However, contrary to the stereotype, I rarely crank up the volume; I enjoy natural, dynamic sound, and thus I buy only old uncompressed CD pressings or Vinyl.

I’d rather not buy an amp more expensive than 500$ unless there’s something exceptional slightly beyond that price range, in which case I’m ready to eat maggots for a month to save more money.

I’d be grateful for some suggestions from more experienced than me. Personally I'm thinking about something from Onkyo, like A-9110, A-9130, or A-9150. I don’t need digital inputs as I prefer an external DAC, but A-9110 is 2x50W while the other two are 2x60W (the recommended power for my speakers is 120W+).

Best Regards
[/Q

robdmarsh

Hi there
Just seen your post and I'm really surprised to see you have zero replies for it on this forum. There really isn't much love for Elac speakers or even any knowledge about them here in the UK, which is sad as Andrew Jones is British.
Anyway, did you keep the speakers? I love Elac speakers. I don't think you should worry about the low sensitivity as I have the debut 5 (original version) and these are supposedly 85db and my low powered Marantz m-cr603 drives them without any problem. I'm really interested in getting a pair of the Debut reference and keeping my Marantz as the overall sound of the latter is very well-balanced even if not "hifi" in many people's book. The debut reference are bigger boxes so maybe I might run into problems with driving them.
Can I ask you what amplifier did you go with in the end and how does the combination work for you? Sorry not to post a real answer to your question; I just wanted to talk to other rare enthusiasts for Elac products!
Rob

Unfortunately, it looks like the OP hasn’t been back since.

Elac have made some super speakers, but they don’t seem to get the coverage in the UK. And dollar priced amps are hard to recommend when we don’t have price lists!

Hi there
Just seen your post and I'm really surprised to see you have zero replies for it on this forum. There really isn't much love for Elac speakers or even any knowledge about them here in the UK, which is sad as Andrew Jones is British.
Anyway, did you keep the speakers? I love Elac speakers. I don't think you should worry about the low sensitivity as I have the debut 5 (original version) and these are supposedly 85db and my low powered Marantz m-cr603 drives them without any problem. I'm really interested in getting a pair of the Debut reference and keeping my Marantz as the overall sound of the latter is very well-balanced even if not "hifi" in many people's book. The debut reference are bigger boxes so maybe I might run into problems with driving them.
Can I ask you what amplifier did you go with in the end and how does the combination work for you? Sorry not to post a real answer to your question; I just wanted to talk to other rare enthusiasts for Elac products!
Rob
this thread is quite old and the OP has not returned so I doubt we will get a reply

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts