Elac Debut ConneX DCB41

John Werner

Aug 18, 2021
Visit site
I was just perusing the various suggested retailers for this speaker, more the prices. Or, should I say price? Well, it is one price no matter where you buy. This practice has always smelled funny. Someone is pulling strings when every place selling a particular product is selling that product at the exact same price. There is supposed to be a Federal Trade Commission ruling that prevents tactics to fix prices in a market. Too bad that law is a "paper tiger" which the government pretty much is "hands off" in implementing. Back in the seventies when there were many Hi-Fi retailers in NYC, Chicago, Maryland, etc. a guy could shop around and even bargain for the best price. You can bet that "best price" wasn't always the same, even daily, at these retailers. The important part is that these dealers regularly sold at prices below retail. True, you didn't get the hands-on demo treatment, but if you knew the gear your were buying that really didn't add any more value anyway.

The manufacturers, who often are also the distributors, are definitely behind this. It goes like this: here's the minimum price you can advertise our BigEar2025 at. If you advertise a lower price we reserve the right not to sell our goods to you for re-sell. Furthermore, we consider as long as the model is an active one in our line, you should never quote a lower price using any kind of social media either. Failure to comply will result in the termination of our agreement to sell our goods through your retail channel.

So, in 2022 about the only way you might get this speaker system at less than the retail price is if you find a store where you can go in and negotiate with someone (owner?) who can set a final price face to face. I think the manufacturer isn't too worried about this. That said, there isn't much pressure on the dealer to sell at a discount since you likely are hamstrung by the fact everyone is at the same price anyway. Free trade has been dead for some time even in "The Land of the Free".

Skelton

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
So, in 2022 about the only way you might get this speaker system at less than the retail price is if you find a store where you can go in and negotiate with someone (owner?) who can set a final price face to face. I think the manufacturer isn't too worried about this. That said, there isn't much pressure on the dealer to sell at a discount since you likely are hamstrung by the fact everyone is at the same price anyway. Free trade has been dead for some time even in "The Land of the Free".
Good news John, in 2023 there's been some discounting!

Amazon has been selling this for $100 less than the other linked retailers for almost a month, and out of the blue today they've kicked it down another $50. Nice time to buy if you're looking for these very capable speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts