eBay - best auction closing times for hi fi gear?

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Having collected various hi fi gear over the years which is now sitting in the garage - I reckon if I sell it I can just scrape enough together for a new Yamaha AV amp.

I guess eBay is the best option but I was wondering what's the best time or day (or week) to have an auction end? I'm assuming maybe 7 or 8pm as most people are home? or is a little later better for the odd person who's had a bit of wine and whose wallet is feeling looser ?

Or would a day time end be better when people are at work but maybe sitting behind a PC?

Any tips on eBay selling of hi fi gear greatly welcomed!

RH

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
roger06:
Hi

Having collected various hi fi gear over the years which is now sitting in the garage - I reckon if I sell it I can just scrape enough together for a new Yamaha AV amp.

I guess eBay is the best option but I was wondering what's the best time or day (or week) to have an auction end? I'm assuming maybe 7 or 8pm as most people are home? or is a little later better for the odd person who's had a bit of wine and whose wallet is feeling looser ?

Or would a day time end be better when people are at work but maybe sitting behind a PC?

Any tips on eBay selling of hi fi gear greatly welcomed!

RH

9pm. Your market will be made up of 70% over 30s, working, possibly with kids. We all get home from work, make dinner, eat dinner, relax.

russ74

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
I've read Sunday night is the best time & Saturday lunch time the worst. Then again a lot of bidders use sniping software these days so who can tell but yep Sunday evening after tea is a good time to finish.I apologize if this sounds obvious but use a few very good pictures & give a good honest description of the item.

A

Anonymous

I think it is about 0.06p to delay the time of the listing. Well it was last time I did it.
And to the other question - I usually end it sunday evening time and it works ok, got some stuff on there of the moment actually ending this sunday! cheers

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
russ74:
I've read Sunday night is the best time & Saturday lunch time the worst. Then again a lot of bidders use sniping software these days so who can tell but yep Sunday evening after tea is a good time to finish.

I apologize if this sounds obvious but use a few very good pictures & give a good honest description of the item.

These are the pics I was planning to use of the 2 bits I've shot so far..

arcam.jpg

I've got some close ups and rear pics of the amp - do you think I should use these as well ?

ps - sorry if it now looks like I'm trying sell 'em here as I'm not!!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Sundays between 7and 9pm is a good time to end the auction ive found. Even if you put your gear up for auction for a week dont despair if you get no bids until the last half hour or so,you will see on your 'my ebay' section how many people are watching your item (these will include bid snipers who go in with a bid in the dying seconds of your auction).

I agree with jd photowise. The white box is throwing your camera meter up the spout,like always !!.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
My logic is a reverse one! Sunday night is where all the goodies are ended, if someone else products are a bit better than yours then you might lost out as they all will be biding on his/her auction!

Monday night is my favourate as people browse Ebay on Sunday and go over 2 -3 pages, hopefully they should spot your auction.

A

Anonymous

Sunday afternoon 4pm ish - post Sunday lunch, post visiting relatives and the peak time that hating work kicks in - always a good time to sell as people want a fix of buying something special.....
emotion-1.gif

T

the record spot

I've sold a good few items - LPs, etc - and tend to find the best closing times are from Monday to Thursday, between 9-10pm. Weekends, maybe Sunday night. Forget Friday and Saturday evening. Stick your item on for 10 days auction, consider something like Auctiva (which I use) which lets you post more pictures and has lots of other little freebies that Ebay charge you for. Keeps the costs down.

Also, have you tried Hi Fi for sale's website (Audiophile candy I think it is) - free listings there, also Hi Fi World magazine, another freebie. No commission and no fat cat Ebay fees to stump up. Put it like this, you can kiss goodbye to nearly 10% I think these days with listing, final value and PayPal fees. You get the audience however, but on the two other outlets I mentioned, you set your price and on you go. HAs to be worth a punt for a month.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Well so much for that! My auction for two 4 metre runs of Cable Talk biwire cable ended last night with one bid of a whopping 99p !! Perhaps the other 6 people watching it were F1 fans and decided to go out and get plastered to celebrate Hamilton's success!

However, the Arcam amp went on last night night and already has a bid of the starting price and 8 watchers so looking good there...

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Blimey -I wish the advice here had been "don't bother!"

I got £98 for the Arcam amp - a little disappointing as an identical one a couple of weeks ago went for £150 but hey ho, luck of the draw I guess.

So I arrange for DHL to collect - I wait in ALL day on Wednesday - phone up and give them a large piece of my mind and they swear blind it'll be collected the next day. So I wait in ALL day Thursday and still they don't turn up so cancel it.

I then take it to the post office and send it Royal Mail - simple.

Next day get an email from the buyer - the amp is 'cracked' and volume doesn't work - so obviously it's been dropped by some idiot in transit.

So my pristine amp I paid £350 for, which would have been a useful spare, will probably just get chucked, I'll have to refund the guy his money, it'll cost me the courier fee and unless I'm lucky my 100% positive feedback score will get ruined!

So all in all a blummin' disaster! I don't think I'm going to bother selling on eBay again apart from small unbreakable items which can be put in jiffy pages and popped in the post.

Right, moan over.

emotion-12.gif

T

the record spot

Just sold my Linn Mimik on Ebay on a Buy It Now - made it an attractive deal by incluing free P&P and throwing in the interconnect it went with (Van den Hul's The Name - a 5 star WHF review and it works very well). That went on at about 8.30 last night and it had sold by 11.30 or so. Straight Buy It Now, no offers, auctions etc.

To the guy who sold the amp a couple of posts up - I take it you had insurance built in with the Royal Mail postage/small parcels rate? You can then claim on the loss of the value of the amp (assuming you got it covered for enough to do so) as a result of the accident. Check the Royal Mail website for further info.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts