Dynamic Bass Boost ..is it evil?

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
There's a setting on my Marantz M-CR610 called Dynamic Bass Boost. This is something I've only ever seen on portable music players, like CD walkmans and even further back, those big old plastic music box things with handles people used to carry around everywhere. So I'm curious to see it on this new Marantz. Is 'Dynamic Bass Boost' considered low-fi? How does it actually work? Is it boosting what's already there or doing something else?

matthewpiano

It can only boost what is there, but it is probably intended to be used for low volume level listening where the bass can sometimes go AWOL. I don't think there is any harm in it being there. If you find it useful, use it. Otherwise just leave it switched off.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
According to Marantz this is simply a fixed 10db boost at bass frequencies.

In other words it is a device to ensure that you run out of power as soon as possible.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Okay. Thanks for info. Haven't touched a tone control in 25 years (Cyrus stuff didn't have them) and I've kind of considered them and things like 'bass boost' verboten. Will have to climb down out of my tree and readjust to planet earth I think.

@matthewpiano

It can only boost what is there...

If I remember rightly Pioneer did some very strange things with a CD player around 1990...added noise or took noise and readded it to fill in the missing bottom or top end or some such thing. Sounded like a ghastly thing to do to be honest. So my mind immediately jumped to that.. and it was around the time that the vastly overarated Pioneer A400 was being heralded as a super budget amp equivalent to something costing £1000. I auditioned it. Couldn't stand it. Horrible to my ears. Each to their own though.

@davedotco

According to Marantz this is simply a fixed 10db boost...

Ah, right, that's what I was meaning. So it is literally increasing the db of those frequencies. Regardless of it's flaws I suppose it is actually a clever little feature then really.

@Cynic-al

It is only useful at very low volume levels,like no more than 3 on volume display.

After reading your post I have been 'trying it out' at low volumes and you are right. Although I actually find that the 'benefits' occur up to about 9 on the volume and then after that it becomes a bit lumpy and thumpy. I also have to switch back to Source Direct after utilising it as it deactivates that.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Siuk.

Be aware that using this feature means that you are using a large proportion of you amplifier power in the bass region, it is in effect a selective volume control that takes effect in the area where much of the musical energy is to be found.

'Bassheads' who use this feature then try and crank up the volume will run out of power very quickly, at low levels it will probably be OK if you like the effect.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Don't touch DBB with a barge-pole! Go to 'S.Direct', go directly to 'S.Direct' and do not pass Go.

... if you've got the right speakers, in the right position with right recordings chebby :)

I've grown to hit source direct on my pm6004 more and more... well, it's on 90% of the time, but some recordings... I have to turn bass knob a bit to the right, however no loudness

btw.. M-CR510 coming today :)

Ccunsworth

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I generally agree with the comments but.... Although I don't watch much TV and therefore haven't invested in any TV audio enhancement I occasionally want to listen to, for example, Peter Gabriel on Sky arts 1. Putting the sky box through an optical link to the Marantz 610 results in very poor audio. The DBB gives a quick fix and since, on this occasion, my main interest is the visual element I'm happy to take advantage of the dbb.

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Ultimately it's down to what sounds best to you but for the least colouration and most accurate presentation of the sound, S.Direct is where you should be headed.

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
TrevC said:
chebby said:
Don't touch DBB with a barge-pole! Go to 'S.Direct', go directly to 'S.Direct' and do not pass Go.

Why?

As well as using up the the amps current and sounding like a 17 year olds car stereo, it puts additional electronics into the way of the signal path, which add distortion. The cleaner the signal path the better, which is why in most cases you don't see anything but source selector and volume control on 'decent' amps, or you can select 'S.Direct'.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts