DVD upscaling

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Without sounding a complete novice, may i ask why? whilst watching dvd's on my upscaling Denon 1930 i still end up with black bars at the top and bottom of my lcd screen. I thought, having read other posts upscaling was to fill the full screen. Is the problem with me, the TV, or the denon.?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
upscaling takes the source resolution and enhances it, to a higher resolution that your system can handle. It doesn't stretch the picture (your screen can probably do that, using zoom, smart, 16:9 etc picture options, but it just distorts the picture).

Take a look here.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Nothing wrong with your kit, some directors want the film shown in it's original cinema aspect when it get's released to the home viewer. Most of these films are in a lot wider aspect than our widescreen TV's. Your DVD will still be upscaled to 1080 pixels high, albeit some of those pixels will incorporate the black bars. You can get rid of them by zooming, but then you'd lose picture quality.

What HiFi reveiwed a Philips TV recently which is wide enough to show DVD's/Blu-Rays in their original aspect without getting the black bars.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Upscaling is the process of converting a lower-resolution video signal (i.e. a DVD with 576 interlaced scan lines of picture content) to a higher resolution for display (i.e. to 1080 lines scanned progressively for a Full HD display).

This is unrelated to the issue of aspect ratio, which is what can give you those black bars you mention. If you watch a DVD on your Denon, of a film with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio (i.e. wider than a 16:9 widescreen TV), then your Denon should simply upscale the image to a higher resolution - it won't change the film's aspect ratio in the process.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, the main point being, if you watched that same DVD on a non HDTV like the CRT TVs of old, you would have black bars. Upscaling does nothing to change that, it simply ensures the picture fills the screen in exactly the same way as it was - so if you have black bars on a DVD on a standard def screen, you'll still have black bars on an HDTV once it's been upscaled.

TRENDING THREADS