DVD to hard drive

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Right, got my sonos system up and running nicely off my NAS drive, and my thoughts then turned to the shelf that is my DVD collection.

My Panasonic BD85 BRP can "see" my NAS drive on the network and is able to play divx.

How do I copy / burn the DVD's to my Nas and convert to Divx? Is there an all in one software package I can use to do this?

Also how would I see and choose which DVD to stream, will I get covers etc or do I need something else.

Help please, lost.

A

Anonymous

WinX Dvd Ripper Platinum sounds just like what u need. It is fast, easy to use and copies to wide range of formats including divx.

http://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper-platinum/

Create a folder called 'Films' or something on the NAS - it should be visible under 'Network', and set this to be the ouput folder in preferences.

Then when u browse the NAS with the BD Player, the folder and contents will show up.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Also look at DVDFab or CloneDVD from slysoft. Is there any particular reason you want to convert to Divx because Win 7 can play back a straight ripped DVD

In terms of front ends look at something like Mediabrowser - this works with media center on Win 7

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
TechMad:

WinX Dvd Ripper Platinum sounds just like what u need. It is fast, easy to use and copies to wide range of formats including divx.

http://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper-platinum/

Create a folder called 'Films' or something on the NAS - it should be visible under 'Network', and set this to be the ouput folder in preferences.

Then when u browse the NAS with the BD Player, the folder and contents will show up.

Thanks, spot on.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
cram:

Also look at DVDFab or CloneDVD from slysoft. Is there any particular reason you want to convert to Divx because Win 7 can play back a straight ripped DVD

In terms of front ends look at something like Mediabrowser - this works with media center on Win 7

Would be viewing through my network attached Blu Ray player :)

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Although as ever I have to point out that making such rips or copies remains illegal.

Even if I own the DVD's and am only playing on my home network? Surely not

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps not legal in the UK, but may I point out that it is in fact legal in some enlightened countries to make backups of audio and video discs providing that they are for your own use and that only one copy is used at the same time.
For example, you are allowed in Norway to purchase a DVD or CD and rip it to a HD or another disc for personal use, but if you sell said original then all backup copies must be destroyed.

I quote "In January 2003, the court ruled that Norwegian citizens were free to make copies of DVDs which they had bought legally.
The Motion Picture Association of America was far from overjoyed by this ruling. In a statement they said: " The actions of serial hackers such as Mr. Johansen are damaging to honest consumers everywhere.
While the ruling does not affect laws outside of Norway, we believe this decision encourages circumvention of copyright that threatens consumer choice and employment in the film and television industries."

iMark

As I have said before you could argue that the MPAA are infringing my rights as a consumer by putting controls on the discs in the first place. I really don't understand what the problem is when I buy a DVD and rip the picture to play on another device. Surely it is not in the interest of honest consumers to have to pay for another format when you already have paid for the movie in the first place.

It is absolutely ridiculous that I can't record a movie I have bought on VHS to my DVD recorder (and improve the picture in the meantime) because of Macrovision on the VHS tape. I shouldn't have to pay to have a copy of the same movie on another format.

I can see the problem of pirating and I have never downloaded any music or movies. But if the MPAA have honest consumer's interests at heart they should stop all their actions against the same honest consumers. It is a great that the record companies shot themselves in the foot with their stupid copyright controls on CD's (which never worked on Macs anyway) and have stopped producing flawed discs.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
iMark:

As I have said before you could argue that the MPAA are infringing my rights as a consumer by putting controls on the discs in the first place. I really don't understand what the problem is when I buy a DVD and rip the picture to play on another device. Surely it is not in the interest of honest consumers to have to pay for another format when you already have paid for the movie in the first place.

It is absolutely ridiculous that I can't record a movie I have bought on VHS to my DVD recorder (and improve the picture in the meantime) because of Macrovision on the VHS tape. I shouldn't have to pay to have a copy of the same movie on another format.

I can see the problem of pirating and I have never downloaded any music or movies. But if the MPAA have honest consumer's interests at heart they should stop all their actions against the same honest consumers. It is a great that the record companies shot themselves in the foot with their stupid copyright controls on CD's (which never worked on Macs anyway) and have stopped producing flawed discs.
totally agree with you.ludicrous ruling.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
QUOTE: "Tonya do you have the tax in Norge that is placed ob blank media like they have here in Svergie? They are thinking of including hard drives to the list"

Not that I know of (they do in Germany I believe) but Norway is very strict when it comes to public performance licensing and stuff like that.
There are teams that go around checking public places for misuse of media.
Shops and cafes for example have to subscribe to a legal system of downloading songs from a central database for a monthly fee which includes public performance rights, based on how many seats the location has.
You can't just play CDs over the sound system as this is not considered fair use.

Domestically, fair use in copying is considered a legal right, in fact Apple were almost prosecuted due to their previous copy restriction system some years ago and were almost banned.

There is a world of difference between the right to back up your media, be it films, music, games, and actual piracy.
I guess that attitude is "it's good to rip, but stupid and illegal to rip-off!"

A

Anonymous

Interesting. Thanks for the insight Tonya. It's quite easy to forget that this is an international forum whith different laws for different countries.

iMark

Copyright laws in NL are roughly the same as in Norway. We pay a levy on media. There has been a discussion to add hard drives and flash media to the list, but there is no majority in parliament for that (yet). It always seems that technology develops faster than what the lawmakers can come up with to close the loopholes.

We always buy our blank DVD's in the UK. They cost less than half of what you pay in NL.

Like in Norway laws here are very strict about licenses for public performance of copyrighted material. Bars and restaurants have to pay for the right to play music. Radio stations have to send in playlists to BUMA/STEMRA so the rights can be paid to the holders of the copyright.

Companies that play music in the workplace have to pay for a license. In a court ruling it was stated that when a company allows their staff to listen to their own iPods or mobile phones the company has to pay for a license. The reasoning is that listening to music improves the happiness and productivity of the workers and a company has to pay for the privilege. I'm not sure if this is strictly enforced but a company where inspectors came round was fined and lost the following court case.

Meanwhile downloading of copyrighted material from a source of which it is not clear whether copyrights have been paid or not is not illegal. This was all part of the compromise that was reached when introducing the levies on media. It seems unfair to pay a levy on media if you can be prosecuted for illegal downloading. Uploading however is strictly illegal but difficult to prosecute.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts