DVD player with high HiFi quality

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I was considering buying a new Hi-Fi system (Marantz PM6004 and CD6004) and realised that I have a few music DVDs that I'd like to listen to / watch as well. I'm thus wondering if someone can advice a good DVD player with high-quality Hi-Fi (marantz or other brand). I don't watch many movies so I'm mainly interesting in something that can restitute music as good as a possible. Or, is that definitely better to buy separate elements?

Also, with this settings, does it make sense to stick with the PM6004 os is that better to go for a AV amplifier? Considering that I won't need 5:1, etc., and most of all am looking for a sound quality before the rest - and so want to stay < 500£ for in the amp.

Thanks

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Buy your hi-fi plus something along the lines of a Sony BDP-S390 for your DVD’s (£94 from Argos, for example), then hook it up to your amp.

Sorted! :)

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
depends on how much money you want to spend. You can buy a 'cheap' DVD player and hook it up to a DAC, or you can buy a good 'multi player' which Marantz also have.

A

Anonymous

@Sizzers: That makes sense, would the sound quality be ok on that one for concert DVDs, etc. ? Is there any particular DVD player more suite to music than movies in general?

@spockfish: I'd say around 500 for CD + DVD combo. The multi-player or "cheap" DVD is an option, but a DAC would make the overall price much higher, so if I get a separate DVD, I'll probably directly plug it to the DVD entry of the amp. Would that be good enough?

A

Anonymous

Is that one better than an equivalent Marantz one? It ranks "only" 4 stars on its whathifi test

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
terraces said:
@Sizzers: That makes sense, would the sound quality be ok on that one for concert DVDs, etc. ? Is there any particular DVD player more suite to music than movies in general?

I guess it comes to down to what you describe as having a “few” music DVD’s and how often you watch them.

For optimum SQ I would of course add a DAC to my BDP, but as I’m not an avid collector of music DVD/Blu Ray’s (I have maybe a dozen) and as I only watch them rather sporadically I couldn’t justify the cost. For my needs the SQ through my Sony BDP is extremely good indeed, but if music DVD was a major listening/viewing medium for me then I would have bought a DAC for it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Sizzers

I dont have much neiter, I just want to be sure that I can enjoy them in good quality with a relatively minor cost (about 100/150e more than the CD6004, whether by upgrading it to a DVD/BlueRay player or with good SQ, or getting a separate DVD player).

But CD quality comes first in my case, so your option might be the best.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I’m not pushing you either way, just offering my opinion and experiences with my BDP as listed in my sig.

Watching/listening to the Stones in “Shine A Light”, for example, is better than anything I’ve heard them recorded through CD (usually pretty brash and harsh). Nirvana “Unplugged” stands up exceptionally well to the CD, and Girls Aloud “Tangled Up” sounds and looks awesome (yes, I do have varied tastes!)

Also bear in mind that when watching a DVD you’re not “listening” in the same way as when you’re flopped down listening to just a CD. I’ve not heard the 6004 combo but used to have the 6003's, and what a lovely set-up that was. What speakers are you intending to use?

A

Anonymous

I think you almost convinced me with those examples! I cannot find other infos about the quality of the marantz blue-ray when used as a CD player only compared to the CD6004, so I may go for the Sony.

The speakers will be either the kef q300 or monitor audio bx5, still undecided.

Which ones did you have with the 6003? Were you happy with the overall quality of the amp?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Well I’m not trying to convince you but just giving an opinion of what works for me, again bearing in my mind that I only watch music DVD’s fairly infrequently.

I’ve not heard either of your proposed speakers but I used to alternate between Dali Lektor 1’s and Focal 706V’s . I was extremely happy with my 6003 amp/combo: very musical and engaging with no harshness at all. I still have the CDP which I’m hoping to pick back up from elsewhere later today. I remember enjoying it far more than the player I’m currently using and I’m looking forward to comparing the two again to see if my opinion has changed any.

SPLAT

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
The new Marantz UD7007 looks on paper like it will be a good contender for Blu-Ray/good music quality, it’s one of the few I’ve seen with a balanced XLR outputs for stereo, so I am guessing it will pump out tunes as well as movies fairly well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts