DVD playback: PS3 vs. dedicated DVD players in the 350-400 pound region

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Alright there, I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer some advice, please?

I am looking to assemble a home cinema system comprising the following:

TV: Panasonic TH-42Z700

Amp/receiver: Sony STR-DA1200ES

Speakers: KEF KHT2005.2

However, I am stuck as far as a DVD player goes, as I am unsure about plunging into the HD market just yet. The Marantz DV7001 sounds fantastic, but the 600 price tag is a little rich for my blood, I think. Therefore, I really want a good all-round DVD player - up to around 350 quid in price - that can do the following:

* upsample DVDs to 1080p and play them very well

* play CDs well (I'm not expecting mindblowing performance in this price range)

Although the Denon 1940 and the CA Azur 540D both got good reviews in the October '07 issue, there seemed to be little niggles with each (e.g. sound and lack of 1080p and lesser picture quality respectively). The PS3 also got a very good review, but I'm still unsure of how its ability to play DVDs compares with dedicated DVD players of a similar price, so could anyone comment on that, please?

If the PS3 isn't that wonderful at playing DVDs, could anyone recommend a DVD player (around the 350 mark) that is a solid all-rounder? I've trawled the internet, but I'm wary of many websites and their advice out there.

Many thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew,

Thanks very much for the response. I am unsure whether to (a) get a Marantz DV6001 now and a HD/Blu-Ray player later or (b) get a PS3 and standalone CD player now...

A

Anonymous

No, I don't own any Region 1 DVDs and I'm not particularly likely to buy any. I think I'll have a look at a PS3 playing an ordinary DVD and make my mind up then. Thanks for the tips.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Agree with Andrew - as we say in the latest issue, the PS3 is certainly a lot better since its firmware upgrade playing DVDs (and Blu-ray, thanks to the 24fps re-jig). However, it still sucks with CDs, so don't rule out that add-on music option....

TRENDING THREADS