DVD and Blu-ray sales continue to nosedive

manicm

There is absolutely no way video discs will make a resurgence, if only for cost reasons. Blu-ray prices are still relatively high, and 4k prices border on misappropriation.

You cannot compare CDs to video discs simply because the latter are often unaffordable.

Bloke

BANNED
Apr 4, 2022
Visit site
On the contrary - as Big Tech starts to censor/ban more and more films for political various reasons and removes said films from their rosters, hard copies will become more sought after.

Bloke

BANNED
Apr 4, 2022
Visit site
Cost and availability. Blu-rays are still 2-3 times the price, discounted less and with limited availability for many shows.

Terry Webb

Feb 10, 2020
Visit site
On the contrary - as Big Tech starts to censor/ban more and more films for political various reasons and removes said films from their rosters, hard copies will become more sought after.
I was thinking the same when I read this news item. It's sad and dangerous when some people are willing to sacrifice variety and freedom of choice just for the sake of convenience. And let's not forget TV programmes as well.

Reactions: BobbySpeed

Bloke

BANNED
Apr 4, 2022
Visit site
Those US disc sales are unlikely to be full price purchases from Amazon UK. They'll be bargain bucket sales in Walmart et al.

no-name-123

Feb 18, 2020
Visit site
What hi fi is registered here in the uk, © Future Publishing Limited Quay House, The Ambury, Bath BA1 1UA. yet the article keeps refering to 'In the us'. How about we get some input from Amazon you-kay or
HMV you-kay

Reactions: nopiano

no-name-123

Feb 18, 2020
Visit site
The article reports on what data is available - it isn't investigative journalism.

I don't expect 't investigative journalism.', if I did I'd get the job done right by Stacey Dooley, not badly by What HI Fii

Please explain how some thing USA focussed can have the slightest relivance to ewe kay audiences?
Can we expect an article on gun ownership in the next issue, please?

no-name-123

Feb 18, 2020
Visit site
I don't speak for the magazine, I'm just another member who was asked to be a moderator. Though FWIW, I suspect that sales trends in these formats are broadly similar here and there. I may be wrong.

Your attitude is pretty combative.
Why shouldn' t Ewe kay readers expect content that is relivant to them, given that the magazine is meant to be uk based?

As before why can't the publishers of what hi fi be called out to get input from Amazon you kay and HMV ewe kay.

Try argueing with Amazon ewe kay that their USA site is doing some thing as a reason that Amazon ewe kay should be doing the same and see how far you get

Jwad

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
It will be interesting to see where the streaming wars end. At the beginning it seemed like a brighter future but now the market is saturated, there are too many services and its basically the same as having to buy a sky subscription or similar. What's worse is that most of the shows will not be released on disc, so those streaming services that I can't justify spending on I can't just cherry lick the best shows for a one off purchase. Hopefully things will consolidate a bit as I can't see the market supporting so many services.

BobbySpeed

Jul 27, 2022
Visit site
It
I don't expect 't investigative journalism.', if I did I'd get the job done right by Stacey Dooley, not badly by What HI Fii

Please explain how some thing USA focussed can have the slightest relivance to ewe kay audiences?
Can we expect an article on gun ownership in the next issue, please?
It will be interesting to see where the streaming wars end. At the beginning it seemed like a brighter future but now the market is saturated, there are too many services and its basically the same as having to buy a sky subscription or similar. What's worse is that most of the shows will not be released on disc, so those streaming services that I can't justify spending on I can't just cherry lick the best shows for a one off purchase. Hopefully things will consolidate a bit as I can't see the market supporting so many services.
What happens in the USA is relevant to the UK and the rest of the world. 3D BluRays disappeared from stores in the USA a couple of years before they did in other territories, and streaming films became the new normal. The problem with streaming is that the quality tends to be poorer than the equivalent disc, and the content streamed can be censored or withdrawn at any time. Buying discs is more expensive than streaming but I think it’s worth it. HMV (UK) online sells many 4K discs at 3 for £30, which is cheaper than you will find anywhere in the USA.

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
There isnt the quality of DVD/Blu-ray/4K players that used to be around either, so streaming is a better choice than buying a heap of junk like the Panasonic UB9000.

BobbySpeed

Jul 27, 2022
Visit site
There is absolutely no way video discs will make a resurgence, if only for cost reasons. Blu-ray prices are still relatively high, and 4k prices border on misappropriation.

You cannot compare CDs to video discs simply because the latter are often unaffordable.
I don’t know where you do your shopping but I suggest you go to HMV online where 4K discs are relatively inexpensive and they have multi-buy deals running most of the time. If you want a world where everything is streamed and you have no control why not look to countries like China.

manicm

I don’t know where you do your shopping but I suggest you go to HMV online where 4K discs are relatively inexpensive and they have multi-buy deals running most of the time. If you want a world where everything is streamed and you have no control why not look to countries like China.

Actually Amazon UK is cheaper - Dune 4k = 14quid, HMV =20quid.

manicm

All very well when where I reside there is not a single 4k disc player available except for the Reavon X100, which is rather too pricy for me.

For better or worse, 4k disc players are disappearing.

Reactions: Freddy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts