DVD-A playback

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Most of my music is now ripped to AIFF and played back from a hard drive, but I have a few dozen SACDs and was thinking of buying some of the 40th anniversary King Crimson discs ( I know, it's my age...) which are high-bitrate DVD-As. I had settled on the idea of a Sony blu-ray player now available at bargain price, but Richer Sounds say it will not handle DVD-A. I was under the impression that ALL DVD and Blu-ray players would play back DVD-A. Who is right, me or Richer Sounds? :?

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
You can play the 24bit/48khz LPCM and surround tracks, if available, on your DVD player but you'll need a DVD-A compatable machine for the higher resolution content.

D

Deleted member 2457

Here is the spec list of the latest Pioneer:

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/42/84/222/BDP-450-K/specs.html

Click on playback to check what it plays.

Antony Brown

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
You can rip the DVD-A in any format, including AIFF, using DVD Audio Extractor, available at www.dvdae.com. You can rip hi-res 2-channel and 6-channel audio using this software, choosing whatever bit depth and sample rate that fancy, up to 24bit/192kHz if you wish. You can trial it for free for a month before you buy. It will also rip the audio track from concert DVD-V discs. I have found that it works very well. That way you will not need to splash out on a new disc player: just make sure that your dac can handle the files.

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, cant leave it here! Forgive me if ive missed something! Would assume that if you have a multi channel disc, you would want to hear it played back multi channel? To do this with your average PC!! :? And then you would need the periphary to hear it--NO? I use JRivers, and tried to download a DSD, multi, massive file! Tried for twenty minutes and gave up.

My PC, uses a quad core i7, the best Gigabyte motherboard out there, USB3 all round, 64bit etc, etc, etc! How do you acheive this? Waiting in the wings ;) :?

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Probo! What exactly are you trying to acheive?Do you want to hear the thing in multi channel? Or just get the disc to your PC, and hear it two channel?Whats your objective please? :? :wall:

Antony Brown

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
With the DVD Audio Extractor software you can rip the 2-channel and 6-channel tracks separately. Some discs have different resolutions for the two mixes. For example, the DVD-A of The Eagles' "Hotel California" is 24/192 in stereo (and sounds very very good) while the 6-channel mix is 24/96. Both have their merits but the stereo DVD-A is simply amazing. Conversely, The Lord of the Rings DVD-A discs are mixed in 24/48 format for both stereo and multi-channel.

Personally I would happily pay for DVD-A stereo disc if they all sound as good as Hotel California.

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
No sorry, still lost me! The opening post spoke of DVD audio discs. The gentleman was asking about suitable players. Cant see the point listening in 2ch if the disc is multi! :? My PC supports up to eight channels via HDMI. Thats how i would listen to a MC recording. For cd rips HD tracks etc, use the Bel canto in two channel. :O

Antony Brown

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
The OP states that most of his files are ripped to AIFF. The DVD extractor software gives the OP the chance to rip his DVD-A discs in the same manner, with the added bonus of maintaining the higher bitrate (and sound quality.)

Regarding how to play multi-channel files: I think that some networked AV receivers and networked Blu-ray players can handle them i.e Cambridge Audio BD752, Marantz NR1603 etc. The OP will be able to access the higher bitrate stereo and multi-channel files through those from his NAS.

As far as I know, there isn't any way to rip an SACD to a computer (other than just using the CD layer, rather than the Hi-res layer.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts