Dust in amplifiers

rimbaud65

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I have been wondering about dust in amplifiers, in mine in particular, which is the NAD C320BEE. Sorry to say I've never taken off the top to look inside it. (1) How do they look after several years in there? Is the dust that is bound to creep in there unhealthy or dangerous in any way for the equipment? (2) Could it in any way effect the sound?

To think of it, I had it in for repair 2 or 3 years back and maybe they cleaned it a little bit, but I don't know at all if they did - maybe that's included in any sane repairment (?)

Do you guys who are so into hifi on all levels clean it yourself every other year or something, or is neglicting to clean an acceptable sin?

Now if or when I get to it is it compressed air that is the only solution for cleaning it out? Is there any special kind or brand I should use for hifi? Be as specific as you can, although I live here in Stockholm. I've only seen for cars and such stuff when searching for it here for a few minutes.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The only real problem might be a greater propensity to catch fire if anything goes wrong inside the amp, as dust is highly combustible.

If you really want to keep things clean, unplug the amp from the mains, let it sit for an hour or so for capacitors to discharge, take off the lid and give it a gentle blowing over with a can of compressed air from a photographic or studio supplies shop.

Don't get the nozzle too close, as you run the risk of dislodging components with too strong a blast.

rimbaud65

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
The only real problem might be a greater propensity to catch fire if anything goes wrong inside the amp, as dust is highly combustible.

If you really want to keep things clean, unplug the amp from the mains, let it sit for an hour or so for capacitors to discharge, take off the lid and give it a gentle blowing over with a can of compressed air from a photographic or studio supplies shop.

Don't get the nozzle too close, as you run the risk of dislodging components with too strong a blast.

Thanks for this, it's sound advice. So I take it it hasn't any effect on the amplifier whatsoever, no effect on sound or no impact on equipment. However, an increased risk for a catch-a-fire-situation... it takes quite a lot of dust for that to happen, doesn't it? Not that I will skip the cleaning with compressed air, I'll probably do that just for cleaning purposes.

A

Anonymous

Simple solution . After each use cover your amp with a towel but let it cool down first . If your fussy on how it looks get one of those designer ones . Turntables have dust covers so why not amps ?

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Un-dust it twice a year
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts