Downscaling from Bluray - help please

We have a 6 year old HD ready Hitachi 32LD7200 telly (in a different home to where the system in my footer is located). It works fine on its sole HDMI input from our TechniSat HD Freesat box and also my step-daughter's Sony PS3.

Today I bought a new Sony BDP-S390 as the current 'all in one' Sony home cinema DAV-S550 we use with this set-up is DVD only and getting clapped out.

Wired up the new Sony with HDMI cable, switched on a got the usual splash screen, then nothing. Tried several times, still zip.

Step-daughter says she had to downscale her PS3 on another telly before it would work (she has a newer LG TV in her bedroom). Did the same with our new Sony, set to 1080i but still nothing on the Hitachi telly. One more try to 720p, still nothing.

The Sony BDP works perfectly on her LG, but simply won't output any video or sound into the Hitachi, which is the aim.

Any thoughts, please, before I return it to the nice Richer Sounds people in Plymouth, who I'm sure won't mind, even though it isn't faulty. I did ring them and they asumed if the PS3 worked then so would this device. Only my speculation, but I wonder if the video 'engine' was upgraded for 3D, and maybe last year's Sony bluray model would work (they still have some).

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello there nopiano,

You have some seriously valuable kit (Krell CD player and amplifier, Grado cartridge, Linn Sondek turntable, Sonus Faber Concerto grand piano speakers etc) and I can't help thinking that your six-year-old HD ready Hitachi 32LD7200 telly, or even the Sony Bravia KDL-32EX503, are not of the quality and / or size to match the rest of your stuff ......

Son_of_SJ said:
Hello there nopiano,

You have some seriously valuable kit (Krell CD player and amplifier, Grado cartridge, Linn Sondek turntable, Sonus Faber Concerto grand piano speakers etc) and I can't help thinking that your six-year-old HD ready Hitachi 32LD7200 telly, or even the Sony Bravia KDL-32EX503, are not of the quality and / or size to match the rest of your stuff ......

Thanks for the kind comment, and I can see what you mean. We are not big AV fans, and the Sony TV is only 2 years old though not large - on reflection I should have gone for 37" as the HD picture is so sharp.

My main audio system is coming up for 14 years old and I am unlikely ever to be able to replace it with a similar standard or cost, so am hoping it keeps going a bit longer. It has shown that in the long-term the better kit is a good buy though, because until I got the Krell and SF combo nothing survived more than 3 or 4 years!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts