Dolby Atmos Speakers

Sliced Bread

So with Dolby Atmos receivers just around the corner, I can't help but start to think about some speaker questions.

Would you be adding ceiling speakers?

If you are current;y using full sized speakers and you decide to add ceiling speakers, would you be investing in a smaller sub sat package to cut down on the space?

I'm really torn on this one.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I have installed an 11.1 system with front heights and wides but I am really dubious about installing ceiling speakers for Atmos. It feels like an expensive escapade really as I'll have to chase the cables up to the ceiling, as well as installing the speakers themselves. I'll be waiting to be truly convinced about this one.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Sliced Bread said:
So with Dolby Atmos receivers just around the corner, I can't help but start to think about some speaker questions.

If you are current;y using full sized speakers and you decide to add ceiling speakers, would you be investing in a smaller sub sat package to cut down on the space?

I don't think the size of the existing speakers would be much of an issue if the extra speakers being added were in-ceiling ones. The main issue for many people is having any more than 5.1 if the speakers are in-room.

I haven't really read much about it yet, but I'm guessing if they're adding Atmos to Blu-ray discs later in the year, then the quality of the Atmos format is identical to True HD/DTS-MA. Personally. I'd have been happier with higher quality audio over less channels (5.1/7.1).

Sliced Bread

VoodooDoctor said:
I have installed an 11.1 system with front heights and wides but I am really dubious about installing ceiling speakers for Atmos. It feels like an expensive escapade really as I'll have to chase the cables up to the ceiling, as well as installing the speakers themselves. I'll be waiting to be truly convinced about this one.

Good point with the cabling.

I might consider purpose built ceiling speakers, but I don't think I would do IN ceilings. I imagine the sound would carry throughout the house, plus there'll be saucer sized holes

In the ceiling should I plan to move listening position / house.

Sliced Bread

David@FrankHarvey said:
Sliced Bread said:

I don't think the size of the existing speakers would be much of an issue if the extra speakers being added were in-ceiling ones. The main issue for many people is having any more than 5.1 if the speakers are in-room.

I haven't really read much about it yet, but I'm guessing if they're adding Atmos to Blu-ray discs later in the year, then the quality of the Atmos format is identical to True HD/DTS-MA. Personally. I'd have been happier with higher quality audio over less channels (5.1/7.1).

That's an interesting point as I've actually not heard anything about the bitrate of Atmos.

It would be interesting to a/b Atmos and DTS-MA in a 5.1 configuration.

T

theflyingwasp

How is it going to sound? Most Blu rays are 5.1 ,7.1 so going all out and getting a receiver with 11:1 with added ceiling speakers is it not just overkill?

theflyingwasp said:
How is it going to sound? Most Blu rays are 5.1 ,7.1 so going all out and getting a receiver with 11:1 with added ceiling speakers is it not just overkill?

Future blu rays can be coded in Dolby Atmos. Brave was coded in Dolby Atmos for the cinemas, I can see a re-release with Dolby Atmos in blu-ray.

Sliced Bread

Looking at the pictures of Onkyo's speakers it looks like some manufacturers will be putting upward firing drivers on the other channels, presumably to us ceiling reflections as an alternative.

I guess these speakers will have two separate sets of speaker inputs to keep the 'ceiling' channel discrete.

I also read on tinternet that Dolby has asked speaker manufacturers to come up with an upward firing speaker that can sit on top of their existing speakers.

It'll be Interesting to hear this approach as after all soundbars use reflections to fair effect.

Whether it will sound good or not is another matter. Too many reflections may muddy the sound field, but fingers crossed that it works well.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Until I get to hear a 2nd or 3rd gen Atmos set up I'm happy with my 7.1. Not much point in adding extra speakers if they aren't going to be Discreet channels. I'm guessing the will be though and a new Codec will be needed for movie mixes. I know Dolby EX is a Matrixed channel which kind of worked but was out classed my DTS ES with its 6th discreet channel now we have 7 discreet channel that if set up correctly do a wondeful job of giving overhead sound and all round sound.

I know it's about definition and having 2 surroundback channels is better than 1 or none for definition but the 11.1/11.2 amps never really took of and they don't seem to have created and 11.1/11.2 codec for discs or even in the cinema. I have front higt or front wide channels on my amp. I have never tried them so don't know if they would make much difference. Any of you guys use these channels? Is it really worht the extra speakers even though as far as I know there are no codecs to support them as discreet channels?

Sliced Bread

Glacialpath said:
Until I get to hear a 2nd or 3rd gen Atmos set up I'm happy with my 7.1. Not much point in adding extra speakers if they aren't going to be Discreet channels. I'm guessing the will be though and a new Codec will be needed for movie mixes. I know Dolby EX is a Matrixed channel which kind of worked but was out classed my DTS ES with its 6th discreet channel now we have 7 discreet channel that if set up correctly do a wondeful job of giving overhead sound and all round sound.

I know it's about definition and having 2 surroundback channels is better than 1 or none for definition but the 11.1/11.2 amps never really took of and they don't seem to have created and 11.1/11.2 codec for discs or even in the cinema. I have front higt or front wide channels on my amp. I have never tried them so don't know if they would make much difference. Any of you guys use these channels? Is it really worht the extra speakers even though as far as I know there are no codecs to support them as discreet channels?

I know what you mean, however in this case Atmos is producing discrete channels, except it does so on a different way to enable users to scale their systems.

The codec will be coming to blurays very soon. We don't have a date, but it's indicated that it will be near the end of this year.

I agree with your comment on adding extra speakers though, as I guess a 7.1.4 system will mean dividing speaker budgets up even further. So there may be more speakers, but for many of us they will have to be cheaper...in theory.

There is def a case to wait for 2nd / 3rd gen though.

Sliced Bread

bigboss said:
You can get decent ceiling speakers for around £50 each. I don't see much point in spending a lot on them. What would 2nd & 3rd generation Atmos bring?

I personally would buy speakers from the same package as the other speakers in the system otherwise you might subjectively subtract, rather than add to the sound stage. Especially if panning effects are changing in sonic signture as they move around the room.

I’ve owned 1st a later gen dd / dts receiver, plus 1st gen & later gen dts-ma receivers. The later ones had better processing, in particular the post processing. Not that there was anything wrong with the 1st gen ones…just the later receivers were an improvement.

I might still go 1st gen, but I will wait and have a listen first.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
To me this is at the point of ridculous now and quite clearly a typical japanese bulk manufacturer spec race to have the logo on the box IMO

To have to renovate the home to get allow for a sound mode is crazy - even for me - for most adding acoustic treatment is too much - now adding speakers to the ceiling specifically for a mode of sound is quite an extreme expectation of the typical AV Receiver buyer

I get effects on the ceiling now when its coded into the film - thinking of scenes in tron and pacific rim in particular.

I appreciate having more speakers is better in many ways - but it also causes issues at the same time - more sound waves bouncing around the room. If you have the room for it then wonderful

Not one for me - I am with David would have preferred higher bit rate or something but I certainly dont knock anyone for going the whole hog with this idea

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
I'm guessing they will be discreet channels, as the ceiling speakers are used along with existing speakers to place sounds vertically, just as you do with the existing five speakers on the horizontal plane.

There were never really many 11 channel power amps or receivers, and if there were, they were north of £3k.

As there will be Atmos encoded Blurays later this year, the extra channels for Atmos will be utilised properly, unlike existing systems.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
To me this is at the point of ridculous now and quite clearly a typical japanese bulk manufacturer spec race to have the logo on the box IMO

To have to renovate the home to get allow for a sound mode is crazy - even for me - for most adding acoustic treatment is too much - now adding speakers to the ceiling specifically for a mode of sound is quite an extreme expectation of the typical AV Receiver buyer

I get effects on the ceiling now when its coded into the film - thinking of scenes in tron and pacific rim in particular.

I appreciate having more speakers is better in many ways - but it also causes issues at the same time - more sound waves bouncing around the room. If you have the room for it then wonderful

Not one for me - I am with David would have preferred higher bit rate or something but I certainly dont knock anyone for going the whole hog with this idea

I'm actually warming to Atmos. When I last posted, I knew nothing of how many channels were required or how things would work. I have received some paperwork regarding this, so I'm understanding it a little better now, although there's still a lot of unanswered questions I have about exactly how it works.

As your existing 5.1/7.1 system stays exactly as is - and the extra speakers (either one pair or two pairs) added are purely (preferably) in-ceiling, it's not a huge system re-arrangement or upheaval, and you're not adding in boxes on the floor or walls that the other half will reject. I certainly feel this is a better and neater approach than the current 9.1/11.1 systems available.

What I don't see as successful, is the approach of adding "Atmos speakers" to a system to achieve the effect - adding in a box speaker that sits on top of your existing speakers. I appreciate this is trying to bring Atmos within the reach of anyone (particularly those that can't install in-ceiling speakers), but I can't see people adding these, as visually this won't appeal to people. I initially felt that Atmos would be more ideal for dedicated AV rooms, and I still believe that, but usuing in-ceiling speakers I can see this being an achievable goal for people in normal living rooms too.

Looking forward to seeing what Yamaha have to announce regarding their CXA5000/MXA5000. It is already an 11 channel system with 11 channels of amplification - it should be an easy transition to add Atmos to it. I guess we won't be far off that announcement as they've already announced their integrated receivers.

pmconcierge

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
You have an 11.1 system and talk about wasting money on ceiling speakers! If you have floorstanders at the front you can virtually get the same sound from a 4.0 system!i would much rather have a 4.0 with a couple of ceiling speakers (4would be goodfor your system). Don't get me wrong, the sound is fuller with more speakers but4 speakers will give you enough 360 degree spund then a couple in the ceiling will massively increase the sound field. As you already have 11 speakers, maybe there is a way to bolt them to the ceiling. Wifey problems may ensue though!

Sliced Bread

I think I'd rather have an Atmos speaker, because you need to

Cut some BIG holes to install in-ceilings.

What if you want to move your furniture?

For me the the preference would be a nice ceiling speaker with its own low profile cabinet that can be mounted with a small bracket, rather than cutting a hole in the ceiling to insert a speaker.

Sliced Bread said:
bigboss said:
You can get decent ceiling speakers for around £50 each. I don't see much point in spending a lot on them. What would 2nd & 3rd generation Atmos bring?

I personally would buy speakers from the same package as the other speakers in the system otherwise you might subjectively subtract, rather than add to the sound stage. Especially if panning effects are changing in sonic signture as they move around the room.

If you look at the manufacturers' websites, most offer in-wall and in-ceiling speakers that are a tonal match to your existing speaker package. They will be exactly the same speakers without a cabinet.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
It looks like the first blu-ray dolby Atmos film will be godzilla thats due out in september.i would imagine that it will sound better in a bigger room due to how the whole Atmos thing sounds and to give a wider soundstage.Im happy with my 7.3 set up at the moment,but never say never. :)

Sliced Bread

bigboss said:
Sliced Bread said:
bigboss said:

If you look at the manufacturers' websites, most offer in-wall and in-ceiling speakers that are a tonal match to your existing speaker package. They will be exactly the same speakers without a cabinet.
True, but I suspect that they will be a little more than 50 pounds. Doesn't the lack of cabinet change the tone?

I'm sure I'm missing something though :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Does it not concern people that one would associate best sound quality to monoblocks 1 amp per speaker in theory - why - because of many reasons.

Now 11 channels from not only 1 amplifier but 1 mains supply is getting further and further away from the above...... ?

This is a huge concern for me in terms of SQ - it cant be getting better can only be going the other way IMO

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Thats missing the point BB - my point is based on SQ alone - to me adding more and more channels seems counter productive to better SQ

More channels sharing the same Power Supply seems more features than function to me

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts