Does vinyl lend itself to certain genres

millerman

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
OK

Ok so please excuse the question from a tuntable virgin. I have auditioned a turntable or two recently and I get the 'its a nicer sound thing' but I wondered if the smoothness of vinyl lends itself to classical for example. I can also understand that any genre will sound no worse on vinyl but nontheless is there a genre where vinyl just excells?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I suppose if you had to pick genres, jazz and classical spring to mind.

But, I find it makes any genre easier to listen to, as it lacks the harsh, unnatural edge that CD tends to exhibit. Everything sounds like music rather than a facsimile of music.

millerman

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks David I tend to agree with you although Jazz is not my scene. I bought some choral music today and WOW what a difference. it may of course be the recording but choral stuff is just stunning. I was listening to Beethovens 9th.

Other than that it was a stupid thread as everything has sounded better so far. In fact I havnt touched the CDs since before christmas day.

I thought Id better add ( to avoid opening up the CD V vinyl debate again) at least on my kit anyway!

A

Anonymous

Actually its not stupid, I think acoustic music seems to be better served using vinyl but there are some surprises if you compare digital (in this case CD) and LP. I have a copy of Kraftwerks "Computer World" on each of these formats and the CD sounds pretty dull, lifeless and rolled off compared to LP, the opposite of what I'd expect. Another unlikely winner on the black stuff is Daft Punks album "Discovery" at times the treble vere's into the zone of peircing but I'm sure the were intending it this way. Comparing CD version of Madonna's "Ray of Light" or Aalnis Morrisette's "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie" though is a complete 180, the CD being better in just about every respect to the LP, its here I'd expect the LP to excel but it falls short (for me at least).

I've made up a self imposed rule of thumb that I generally adhere to because of this, anything prodcued before 1990 I'll try track down the LP version, after that I'll play safe and buy a CD but it is only a rough rule.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts