does the forum draw you in and cost you money?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i mean, all the talk of different kit and the descriptions of how it sounds, all the buzz words that do the rounds, reading the reviews of some of the kit you currently can't afford, some of the your systems picks in particular can make a regular guy froth at the mouth with envy :).

is this forum a catalyst for upgraditus? is anyone currently happy with their hifi? or are we all constantly aspiring towards better gear? and if we weren't on here, would we be happier with our hifi lot?

cheers :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn said:
is this forum a catalyst for upgraditus?

I don't personally find it so, there's stuff I'd like, sure, but reading about it on here doesn't make me any more or less likely to go out and buy it. I'd like to say that's because I have willpower but it isn't, it's because I don't have any money.

is anyone currently happy with their hifi?

No.

or are we all constantly aspiring towards better gear?

Yes but not to the point of actually doing anything much about it.

and if we weren't on here, would we be happier with our hifi lot?

Not personally, I've been thinking about upgrading my stuff for ten years, I've only been on here for 3.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
I like browsing the forum to collect ideas and put together systems in my mind. Daydreaming you might say... Some posters in particular offer excellent advice and i did put togehter a nice system for around £200 (second hand) which i then sold
smiley-frown.gif

I'm currently hindered from putting together a new system by wedding and honeymoon spending but i'm using the hiatus to plan an ideal set-up that will meet my needs for the next few years at least. I'm not persuing the ultimate hifi goal though, just good, easy listening sound for music, radio, TV and films for a modest budget.

Having said that, if i had the cash, i would consider dropping 2 to 3 grand on a system, but that would be it, but having considered it I'd probably spend the money on something else instead!

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Right now I am happy with my hifi and wont change for the next few years.In case of an lottery win i can imagine to invest in hifi though just 4 fun.It is interesting to get other opinions and to compare these with your own experiences.

A

Anonymous

I only started looking on here when my old CD player packed up after 15 years. Two months later, I've got a spanking new CD player, pair of speakers/stands, I'm £1,200 lighter... and even though I'm fairly sure what amps will be on my shortlist to put the final piece in place, I'm still here. Maybe the increased knowledge of what products are out there has influenced whether or not I thought an amp upgrade was even needed at all but I can't help thinking that once the new CD player was bought, the rest of it would have to be upgraded as well. I suppose there is also the slightly nerdy tendency to have an interest in the techy side of things even though I've got no intention of letting it influence my purchasing decisions (he says...)

As to being completely happy with my hi-fi, I'll let you know when the new amp's in place.
smiley-wink.gif
Realistically, I'm satisifed that I will be as happy as I can make myself from systems upgrades, given that the biggest restriction on sonic nirvana at that stage would be a less than perfect listening environment, i.e. first floor conversion flat. I won't be buying a sub in a hurry, unless I want environmental health round! But I'd like to think the system will keep me happy for a number of years from that point and this forum won't see too much of me (besides the odd sneaky peek to see if anyone's finally started talking about my new Epic 2 speakers yet...)

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Happy for 14 years now without a change. But there are a number of reasons I come on here. Having spent 12 years away from the hi-fi scene I need to update my knowledge because sooner or later my 'ancient' kit will break, and I'll need to find equipment that's compatible. If I can impart some knowledge along the way and help other people with a problem then that's a positive side to it all.

I'm also interested in all that old kit that has proved itself over time. Quite often you have to let the marketing 'hype' settle, and give it a decade, before you really find out what the fantastic components actually were. I think it's great that there are so many people on here using components that are over two or three decades old, and still think those components are fab. Always interested in the historical side... or the hystercial side if you include the usual 'cable debate' threads... The last one started by 'excitable boy' was a classic!

Paul.

Not so much the Forum, but exposure to kit in general can be dangerous to your happiness! I used to work in a camera shop, and I had much more exotic kit than I do now that I take pictures for a living. Partially because I was depressed whilst I was there, but now I am not.

I also live in Bristol, but I deliberately steer clear of the Bristol show, as I don't want to destroy my current happiness with my kit! I consider myself a recovered gear junky :)

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Er, probably not. I think the buzz I get when I spend money on shiny stuff is my problem. I am actually very happy with my setup at the moment, although I would like to upgrade the amp I am not so bothered as to need to do it right now.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
listening to kit that was better than what i had, did for me. rookie mistake.
smiley-laughing.gif

the forum has led me to try to demo kit i might have ignored in the past.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I was about to type 'no', but then I realised that i'd never even heard of a Gyrodec before I joined the forum.

So, err, yes
smiley-smile.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It's definately a tug of war at times.

Once you've lost a particular bout, then some of the guilt can be assuaged by coming on here, and persuading others into debt/trouble as well.

It's better than therapy. ;)

A

Anonymous

maxflinn said:
is this forum a catalyst for upgraditus? is anyone currently happy with their hifi? or are we all constantly aspiring towards better gear? and if we weren't on here, would we be happier with our hifi lot?

Yes, yes it most certainly is
smiley-cool.gif

davemartin01

May 4, 2010
Visit site
No upgradeitis here and I am in the rare camp of loving my hi fi and setup and feel no need to do anything other than love my music. I read the forums because I sit with the lap top next to me when I listen!

A

Anonymous

maxflinn said:
i mean, all the talk of different kit and the descriptions of how it sounds, all the buzz words that do the rounds, reading the reviews of some of the kit you currently can't afford, some of the your systems picks in particular can make a regular guy froth at the mouth with envy :).

cheers :)

Depends why you are here - I have now done my upgrades, I beleive carefully selected, so I don't expect to need to be back looking for something else.

I've thrown caution to the wind and spent double what my wallet felt comfortable with (because my ears told me I had to or why bother). But now I will shut up shop and get on with listening to TheMusic and not the equipment. But that's me - for others its a passion, searching for Nirvana - some frustrated by the search, others enjoying it I expect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts