DOES speaker wire gauge MATTER or NOT ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
The reason why i ask this question is for the simple fact that where ever you read about speaker cable the article always state's that the AWG, gauge or the thickness of the speaker wire is a very, very important factor probably the most important to take into account when buying speaker cable and the various article's usually go on to say that the longer the length of cable required then the more thicker the cable should be or the thicker the cable the better the sound quality because there is less resistance in a thicker cable compared to a thinner one so therefore the current will travel better etc BUT what i do not understand is that if this is supposed to be a very important and crucial factor then why the hell are company's like CHORD, QED, KIMBER CABLE, ATLAS etc manufacturing and selling speaker cable that is very thin for example my CHORD EPIC SUPER TWIN use's conductor's that are only 4-5mm thick so surely these exotic speaker cable company's are not paying much attention to the very important factor stating that the thicker the cable the better but it seems that they are doing the opposite and charging us a lot of money for it. So does this mean that if i were to buy a 10mm thick speaker wire that cost's only £1 per meter would this sound better than a 5mm thick speaker wire say from CHORD that cost's £30 per meter, well it should do according to these articles that state that the thicker the cable then the better the sound quality. So know i sit hear and wonder if i have been ripped off by paying over £80 per meter for a cable that is only 5mm thick compared to a 10mm cable that only costs £1 per meter and the worst feeling is that i think i might be believing the hype that expensive speaker cable does not make a slight difference it's the thickness that does and know i feel very, very THICK.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Blind listening tests have shown that all speaker cables sound the same. But then theyve also shown a 200 quid amp sounds the same as a 20k amp so I take blind tests with a pinch of salt

Personally speaking I put speaker cables and interconnects in the same bracket. Either theyre transparent (Let information through without distorting it in any way (colouration)) or they do distort.

4mm speaker cables are plenty big enough for most hifi systems, so your unlikely to gain anything from thicker wire. Other factors are what its made of, how its made and what surrounds the metal cores (The sheathing)

My personal opinion is you HAVE been ripped off. Not because of the thickness of the cable, but because youve been conned into believing the chord is somehow better than a much cheaper brand. (I believe most, if not all chord cables 'distort' sound)

Ive since changed all my interconnects for VAN DAMME, as theyre very transparent. In time im going to change my speaker cables too (Just deciding on the best connectors to use)

If you wish to know more then id suggest a google. I could post loads of links but get yet another slapped hand off the over enthusiastic mods on here

A

Anonymous

DR KAY:The reason why i ask this question is for the simple fact that where ever you read about speaker cable the article always state's that the AWG, gauge or the thickness of the speaker wire is a very, very important factor probably the most important to take into account when buying speaker cable and the various article's usually go on to say that the longer the length of cable required then the more thicker the cable should be or the thicker the cable the better the sound quality because there is less resistance in a thicker cable compared to a thinner one so therefore the current will travel better etc BUT what i do not understand is that if this is supposed to be a very important and crucial factor then why the hell are company's like CHORD, QED, KIMBER CABLE, ATLAS etc manufacturing and selling speaker cable that is very thin for example my CHORD EPIC SUPER TWIN use's conductor's that are only 4-5mm thick so surely these exotic speaker cable company's are not paying much attention to the very important factor stating that the thicker the cable the better but it seems that they are doing the opposite and charging us a lot of money for it. So does this mean that if i were to buy a 10mm thick speaker wire that cost's only £1 per meter would this sound better than a 5mm thick speaker wire say from CHORD that cost's £30 per meter, well it should do according to these articles that state that the thicker the cable then the better the sound quality. So know i sit hear and wonder if i have been ripped off by paying over £80 per meter for a cable that is only 5mm thick compared to a 10mm cable that only costs £1 per meter and the worst feeling is that i think i might be believing the hype that expensive speaker cable does not make a slight difference it's the thickness that does and know i feel very, very THICK.I believe I gave you a link on a previous post regarding speaker cable , more to do with using different lengths than gauge ,but the same site addresses speaker gauge as well.

Gauge is important when you use long length of cable as in Home cinema rear speakers , due to making it less resistant.

Most people will go for thin because of the cost and it is easier to hide , when in this application you should perhaps use 12 gauge 4mm cable.

I am rewiring at the moment and have previously used expensive Audioquest cable for front 3 and 79strand for rears

I am changing to Van Damme 4mm for every channel , if its good enough for PCM speaker company who am I to argue, but it is heavy studio cable and about 1/2" in diameter.

Cant give an opinion on the VD cable sound as I am literally changing system out just now

We are very easily conned by hype and fear into buying kit that gives very little if any benefit , if you were to use normal house 2.5 mm wiring it would .without doubt .make your system sound different , better ?

Well that as always is subjective

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:

Blind listening tests have shown that all speaker cables sound the same. But then theyve also shown a 200 quid amp sounds the same as a 20k amp so I take blind tests with a pinch of salt

Personally speaking I put speaker cables and interconnects in the same bracket. Either theyre transparent (Let information through without distorting it in any way (colouration)) or they do distort.

4mm speaker cables are plenty big enough for most hifi systems, so your unlikely to gain anything from thicker wire. Other factors are what its made of, how its made and what surrounds the metal cores (The sheathing)

My personal opinion is you HAVE been ripped off. Not because of the thickness of the cable, but because youve been conned into believing the chord is somehow better than a much cheaper brand. (I believe most, if not all chord cables 'distort' sound)

Ive since changed all my interconnects for VAN DAMME, as theyre very transparent. In time im going to change my speaker cables too (Just deciding on the best connectors to use)

If you wish to know more then id suggest a google. I could post loads of links but get yet another slapped hand off the over enthusiastic mods on here

Do you use Van Damme subwoofer interconnect by any chance?

I am as easily conned as the next guy but have managed to convince myself on buying VD speaker cable , but.

As I have a high end system and need 10m of sub interconnect I am desperately trying not to be fooled into buying 10 m of QED reference subwoofer cable at £108.00 when obviously there are cheaper alternatives, not that perhaps my system doesn't justify the QED and if that is the price I have to pay ,so be it.

OK perhaps I am contradicting myself , such is the power of the esoteric manufacturer

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
lesmor:Do you use Van Damme subwoofer interconnect by any chance?

I am as easily conned as the next guy but have managed to convince myself on buying VD speaker cable , but.

As I have a high end system and need 10m of sub interconnect I am desperately trying not to be fooled into buying 10 m of QED reference subwoofer cable at £108.00 when obviously there are cheaper alternatives, not that perhaps my system doesn't justify the QED and if that is the price I have to pay ,so be it.

OK perhaps I am contradicting myself , such is the power of the esoteric manufacturer

Made me laugh
emotion-4.gif

I dont use a sub im afraid

I can tell you that my bass is more detailed and deeper with the VD than it was with my reference solid silver interconnects though

Way I see it is exactly what I said to the OP. The VD will allow all information through, completely transparent (Down to around 20Hz if memory serves). If the QED does different, then to my mind, thats surely a BAD thing?

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I worked as an engineer in Abbey Road studios for several years. The entire studio (and many many others) use VDC cable. 4mm bi-wire cable was used on the Nautilus 800 surround systems with 1000w Chord Amps per speaker - in cost terms the cable was cheap as chips.

The only significant benefit in cable technology was decent screening and OFC copper conductors. As far as gauge goes on speakers, you want something chunky for current transfer and low impedance loss, but the terminals will limit the current in the same way pipe diameter reduction reduces flow-rate in plumbing.

If it's good enough for the recording chain, it just doesn't make any sense why you need to pay more. Your home hi-fi isn't going to sound significantly better than the recording engineers monitoring system.

Sorry but super fancy cables are unnecessary. You reach a law of diminishing returns VERY early in the exponential price curve.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
markyd:
I worked as an engineer in Abbey Road studios for several years. The entire studio (and many many others) use VDC cable. 4mm bi-wire cable was used on the Nautilus 800 surround systems with 1000w Chord Amps per speaker - in cost terms the cable was cheap as chips.

The only significant benefit in cable technology was decent screening and OFC copper conductors. As far as gauge goes on speakers, you want something chunky for current transfer and low impedance loss, but the terminals will limit the current in the same way pipe diameter reduction reduces flow-rate in plumbing.

If it's good enough for the recording chain, it just doesn't make any sense why you need to pay more. Your home hi-fi isn't going to sound significantly better than the recording engineers monitoring system.

Sorry but super fancy cables are unnecessary. You reach a law of diminishing returns VERY early in the exponential price curve.

Fascinating post markyd

Does abbey have any mains conditioning or balanced mains? Do they bother with fancy mains leads or just stick with stock?

A

Anonymous

markyd:

Good post , and logical , you can only reproduce what was recorded through the original cables that were used ,and no amount of expensive cable no matter what the cable companies say their technology does , can add/improve on that.

No recording studios whether for music or Cinema ,as far as I am aware ,use chord / QED etc

A

Anonymous

Hi markyd just read what you wrote and i am totally convinced now that expensive speaker must be a huge ripoff because if Abbey Road studio's and other studio's knew that expensive speaker cable doe's make a difference in quality then I'll bet you that they would be using the most expensive cable that money can buy BUT they are not so therefore if VDC cable is good enough for them then it's surely good enough for me, so therefore i will be purchasing some VAN DEN STUDIO BLUE 4mm speaker cable rather than the expensive QED stuff. Can you possibly give me the full name of the VDC cable that the studio were using so that i can buy the same or would the cable i have just mentioned be ok also i would be very grateful since you have been working as an engineer in the world renowned ABBEY ROAD studio's if you can share any hint's, tip's or trick's that can benefit me and other's in term's of getting the best and most out of our system's and finally if you can tell me exactly which speaker cable i should use for the whole system then i would be very grateful indeed. Thank's

A

Anonymous

markyd:

Hi sorry but doe's VDC cable actually mean VAN DEN HUL speaker cable?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
aliEnRIK:completely transparent

You've said this in several posts recently. How do you know this?

Ive seen the results of tests online

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK:Ive seen the results of tests online

Ah, right, so you saying 'it's completely transparent' means 'i've read that it's completely transparent'. Thanks for clarification.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

Ah, right, so you saying 'it's completely transparent' means 'i've read that it's completely transparent'. Thanks for clarification.

Not to be confused with being able to see daylight through the fabric of the cable?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

When I read youve measured your cables Andrew, ill be more than happy
emotion-5.gif

If you think Chord cables, Nordost, VDH or whatever are somehow better than Van Dammes im all ears. But I think youve all been conned like the rest of us (In fact in a way, ive been conned because of reading your reviews ~ much like people getting conned about the effects of certain drugs due to having complete faith in what they read). A cables brighter or bassier?

I put it to you Andrew that theyre are 2 types of cables (Im talking interconnects and speaker cables here) . Those that are transparant (All should be, and ALL will sound the same save perhaps a little more detail with those that are better shielded at frequency extremes) or theyre not (the vast majority of cables you review)

I also believe that your all so used to reviewing brighter cables, that you believe (As I did) that they have more detail etc. When all theyre doing is 'colouring' the actual signal. So when you DO review an actual transparent cable, because its not as 'bright' you believe its not as good.

Just my 2 pence worth. Im allowed an opinion and thats mine after MUCH experimentation

John Duncan

aliEnRIK:I put it to you Andrew that theyre are 2 types of cables (Im talking interconnects and speaker cables here) . Those that are transparant (All should be, and ALL will sound the same save perhaps a little more detail with those that are better shielded at frequency extremes) or theyre not (the vast majority of cables you review)

So cables are different then? And one might be better than the other?

daveh75

aliEnRIK:Andrew Everard:
aliEnRIK:completely transparent

You've said this in several posts recently. How do you know this?

Ive seen the results of tests online

How do you test/measure 'transparency' ?

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:So cables are different then? And one might be better than the other?

As long as science tells that there's no measurable values that can cause audible differences in speaker cables of sufficient size and normal length, and it's impossible to measure potentially audible differences between such cables with sound meters, as well as impossible to distinct between such cables in blind tests, I think it's safe to trust that cables don't matter.

After all, recording studios, as well as speaker manufacturers without interests in the cable industry, does.

(A representative of Polk Audio once stated, that the company did not publish tests of speaker cable, because the results of such tests would provoke their dealers. I think that says a lot...)

PS:

As for the test where listeners were unable to distinct between an inexpensive amp and an expensive one, this was an inexpensive amp that was known to have the same sound character as the expensive one. So what the test shows, is that the differences you hear between amps, are basically differences in sound character.

Of course you'll be able to hear differences between amps with different sound characters (like "dark" vs "light" sound), or between amps that's got the power to drive a certain speaker, and those who haven't.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:
So cables are different then? And one might be better than the other?

Cables can be different yes. But as ive stated, theyre either transparent or they are not

If the sounds 'coloured' in any way then youve distorted the original signal

Some people might like distortion. I thought I did for a long time, mainly due to hifi reviews

If someone likes a 'bright' sound then thats upto them. But it doesnt change the fact its been distorted to make it brighter

personally id rather the signal was sent without any colouration. If I want any particular sound ill buy the electronics to match. Im happy with my equipment and I want it as clean as possible

HIFI by its very nature should be kept as clean as possible. Thats why some of the equipment reviewd on WHF costs 20k or so and generally has VERY low distortion rates. Why would anyone in their right minds buy equipment costing 20k or more then go and distort it with cables?

For the record ~ 'better' is entirely subjective. To me 'better' is natural. Maybe WHF disagree? Maybe 'better' to them is bright and bassy?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Fahnsen:
(A representative of Polk Audio once stated, that the company did not publish tests of speaker cable, because the results of such tests would provoke their dealers. I think that says a lot...)

I read about a test of various speaker cables by simply measuring them. 2 of the most well known manufacturers refused to allow them to publish the results.

Anyone would think they had something to hide
emotion-3.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
chebby:I look forward to all wireless systems then.

I dunno chebby. Even now, wireless systems seem to perform quite poorly.

In example, I have virgin broadband. Connected via a 5m ethernt cable I get 20ms response and full upload and download rates

I use a draytek router (draytek are top notch routers), and even that doesnt send information as quickly. Ping, download and upload rates are all lower than wired

All the information sent and recieved is the same (Once error correction is put to use), but if it cant cope fast enough then id imagine sound would suffer

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
chebby:aliEnRIK:2 of the most well known manufacturers refused to allow them to publish the results.
Anyone would think they had something to hide
emotion-3.gif

Their laughter?

Why would they be laughing?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts