Does my new amp need running in

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi just bought a new yamaha DSP-AX763, it sounds excellent and i am really happy with it . Just wondering tho do amps need running in time before they reach there best.

Not a big issue but bored at work and just wondered, any thoughts on this?

Cheers

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I've found that in general new pieces of kit tend to start off sounding good, then very quickly start sounding terrible and then gradually improve. I don't suppose your amp will be anywhere near it's best until it's had 3 or 4 months normal use.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
pete321:I've found that in general new pieces of kit tend to start off sounding good, then very quickly start sounding terrible and then gradually improve. I don't suppose your amp will be anywhere near it's best until it's had 3 or 4 months normal use.

Not sure I understand the logic in that. I don't think you will notice a great deal of difference from now on and it's very difficult to quantify anyway.

A

Anonymous

How can an engineer design an amp if it is apparently changing after being built??

I think it's more a case of one becoming more accustomed to the sound.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
The electrical characteristics of components (capacitors, resistors transistors, etc etc) do change over time, the greatest change being at the beginning of the life of the component(s). This would account for a technical explanation of a "running in period".

However I am also convinced from my own experience that, as you say Eddie, there is an element of simply getting used to the sound.

I for one have found my 876 to be fuller in sound recently than when I first got it 3 weeks ago or so. Whether that is because it is benefiting from running in or I'm getting used to the sound (after having had an old, flabby, Yamaha for 5+ years), who knows!

I would be interested if the WHF team could comment - do you for example (and I'm sure you do) take two bits of equipment, run one in over time, then compare them side by side...ÿ

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Have done such comparisons in the past, but in general we unbox, have a listen, give the product a serious caning, listen again and off we go.

Or in the case of Naim amps, we unbox, have a listen, give the product a serious caning, listen again, give the product a serious caning, listen again, give the product a serious caning, listen again, give the product a serious caning, listen again...

emotion-2.gif

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Most hifi stuff I've had definately sounds OK when you 1st plug it in then deteriates over the next day or two to usually sounding quite harsh, before gradually improving over time. I've found this to be more apparent with more expensive pieces of kit, i.e. the more money it cost it's 'nasty phase' is usually more noticeable before sounding great after being run in.

A

Anonymous

Running in, burning in time.

It is well regarded that Amps, Pre Amps, CD players, Speakers, Cables etc all benefit from a running in period, with noticeable increases in performance efficiency.

I find that the more revealing the source the greater bedding in time is required. 2/3 months sometimes.

The higher the safe loading put on the equipment when new does accelerate this process, and as Andrew says give the product a serious caning, listen, give the product a serious caning, listen again, and repeat etc, etc. Is spot on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts