Does keeping the covers on speakers dampen the sound?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I was just curious if keeping the front covers on speakers actually dampens the sound etc? For eg if my 2yr old son was having a screaming fit & i threw a blanket over him im sure it would maybe tone him down abit ha (although this experiment hasnt been carried out) lol Does anybody have any views on this?

A

Anonymous

I find that it definitely has an effect-mine sound a litttle brighter with them off-just my opinion, for a screaming 2yr old I'd suggest a duvet myself!!

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Firstly, speakers. Maybe a little bit. But it won't affect the sound as much as a finger-damaged dome tweeter!

Secondly, the I find fleece blankets are far better than the standard baby-blankets for toning down loud children
emotion-5.gif

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
It seems i share the same opinion as you daherne as i found that my speakers sounded a tad brighter with the covers off! Ijust didnt know if my brain was making me think they did, thanks. Although it seems im getting more feedback on how to tone my 2yr old down!! Thanks 4 the tips guys !!!!!

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I tend to agree - my RS6's sound better with the grilles off, but unless the little 'un is in bed, I can't risk the drive units becoming accidentally damaged (flying skipping ropes / Wii controllers etc), so for the most part they stay on.

But saying that, the missus and little 'un are staying round at one of her friends tomorrow night, so the covers will be well and truly off!

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="fatboyslimfast"]I tend to agree - my RS6's sound better with the grilles off, but unless the little 'un is in bed, I can't risk the drive units becoming accidentally damaged (flying skipping ropes / Wii controllers etc), so for the most part they stay on.

But saying that, the missus and little 'un are staying round at one of her friends tomorrow night, so the covers will be well and truly off![/quote] Well lucky for me fatboyslimfast i have 2 seperate living rooms, 1 of which is MY dedicated movie / music room that also happens 2 have a lock on it !!! & remote controlled dimmer lights (just thought id throw that in) ill take covers off whilst im listening etc & put them back on when im done so thay dont get to dusty ha

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Without doubt mine sound better off. The manual for the speakers say the covers are transparent regarding the sound, def not so, anyway you can't see all those lovely drivers with them on. I must agree with the children issue, little fingers get everywhere.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Andy H"]Without doubt mine sound better off. The manual for the speakers say the covers are transparent regarding the sound, def not so, anyway you can't see all those lovely drivers with them on. I must agree with the children issue, little fingers get everywhere.[/quote]I agree Andy as it would be like putting a bag over Kate Beckinsales face eh? lol

John Duncan

[quote user="jase fox"][quote user="Andy H"]Without doubt mine sound better off. The manual for the speakers say the covers are transparent regarding the sound, def not so, anyway you can't see all those lovely drivers with them on. I must agree with the children issue, little fingers get everywhere.[/quote]I agree Andy as it would be like putting a bag over Kate Beckinsales face eh? lol[/quote]

What you do in your own time etc etc.........

Covers off definitely different, usually better. But soft-dome tweeters are scientifically proven to be magnetically attractive to children (can't speak for metal-dome ones). Sellotape gently applied to pull them out seems to work though.

Sturdy cardboard box for the other issue.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
considering how people round these 'ere parts and similar places are always talking about how thye layout and contents of the room effects the sound, it surprises me that people can think (even speaker manufactureers!) the covers make no difference. Afterall, its a soft fabric placed so close to the speakers that its actually on them. but as to the question, it makes a diference, imo, in the way others have said.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="jase fox"]remote controlled dimmer lights (just thought id throw that in) [/quote]

I have these in my livingroom and bedroom now after seeing them at my g/f's place. The best bit is it makes the place seem even more cinema like (but with out kids talking and stuff). Also teaching them to respond to a spare button on my receivers remote so i didn't have to buy two official remotes!

related to the sellotape tip for pulling out tweeters, how do you guys clean them? there is a thin layer of dust on the top half of the cones, but i have no idea the best way to get it off!

John Duncan

[quote user="fast eddie"]related to the sellotape tip for pulling out tweeters, how do you guys clean
them? there is a thin layer of dust on the top half of the cones, but i have no
idea the best way to get it off![/quote]

Get a blower brush from a camera shop - just a few quid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts