Does Blu-Ray upscale better than a DVD player?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I suddenly had to buy a replacement DVD player about 6 months ago and made a reasonable choice I think in the Denon 1940. Like a lot of people I have a decent collection of standard DVDs but am considering whether it's better to buy a blu-ray player (e.g., Panasonic BD-DMP35/55) now which will still upscale my DVDs and buy blu-ray discs from now on, or stick with the Denon for a year or two and continue adding to my DVDs?

Will something like the BD 35/55 upscale standard DVDs better, worse or same as my Denon 1940?

Cheers

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Here I will help the best I can, I did have a Denon 1910 it was good and I didnt think it was going to get that much better especially on the upscaling part. I bought the Sony 350 BD player and to sum it all up and make it really easy from a sceptic....

....Yes, Yes Yes! Do it, the upscaling is so good on some movies its hard to tell which is blu ray and which is regular DVD. But this does come with one problem, its so good that even when watching HD programming on the tube everything else looks old. When you go from the BD player to regular digital aghhhhhhhhhhh

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Jarnesque:
I suddenly had to buy a replacement DVD player about 6 months ago and made a reasonable choice I think in the Denon 1940. Like a lot of people I have a decent collection of standard DVDs but am considering whether it's better to buy a blu-ray player (e.g., Panasonic BD-DMP35/55) now which will still upscale my DVDs and buy blu-ray discs from now on, or stick with the Denon for a year or two and continue adding to my DVDs?

Will something like the BD 35/55 upscale standard DVDs better, worse or same as my Denon 1940?

Cheers

I used to have the Denon 1940 and was very happy with it. My BD player (Sony S550) upcales a smidge better than the Denon. Extra plus points are that it's a hdmi 1.3a machine (as are all my other components - the Denon isn't), so I get auto lip sync which is brilliant. And of course it plays bluray fantastically and the HD audio is amazing.

A

Anonymous

I previously had a pioneer DV-LX50, considered as one of the best DVD upscalers, recently I sold it & purchased a panasonic BD-30, and the upscaled DVDs are just as good if not better than the pioneer.

Probably the only DVD player that could better most of the new blu ray players is toshibas new EX500.

A

Anonymous

My sony 550 isnt as good as my denon 2930 but its close enough to live with and if you take into account the denon was £650 DVD player thats not to shoddy! The only downside is DD sounded better through the denon but again its not by a big margin...Go for it i recon it will be better than your 1940

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
markjaspi:
I previously had a pioneer DV-LX50, considered as one of the best DVD upscalers, recently I sold it & purchased a panasonic BD-30, and the upscaled DVDs are just as good if not better than the pioneer.

Probably the only DVD player that could better most of the new blu ray players is toshibas new EX500.

Why do you think that an upscaling dvd player (Toshiba XD E500) costing £120 will be better than your old Pioneer (that cost circa £500) and the Denon 1940, let alone a decent Bluray player? Just because the mag raved over it and gave it 5 stars, it doesn't make it a world beater. The five stars are awarded for performance per pound. The latest BD players from Sony and Panasonic will be better than the Tosh for sure.

A

Anonymous

I have an upscaling Denon 2910 and have been told that for standard DVD's I would have to look to one of the new Denon Blue ray players if I wanted both quality blue ray and upscaled playback. But given the price of the three new Denons (from £450 'budget' model to £1,600 high-end, I wonder if the Panasonic DMPBD55 would upscale and provide a quality on par with the Denon 2910. In any case, surely the quality of the picture is ultimately limited to the quality of the display - in my case the Panasonic PTAE2000 projector. Any suggestions for an ideal DVD player to match?

TRENDING THREADS