Does anyone use internet radio on a Marantz MCR-610 or new 611?

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
If so, would you do me a favour please and time how long from power on before the radio plays?

My old 603 takes about 90s whereas my 851N downstairs takes around 10s.

Appreciate any help.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
splasher said:
If so, would you do me a favour please and time how long from power on before the radio plays?

My old 603 takes about 90s whereas my 851N downstairs takes around 10s.

Appreciate any help.

My old M-CR603 was almost instantaneous (ok a couple of seconds) but it seems - with every new version - they get worse and worse.

Ayway, why bother at all with internet radio on ANY machine? Use AirPlay (or Bluetooth aptX on the M-CR611 if you have Android) with good apps like TuneIn Radio Pro and BBC iPlayer Radio. You get better bitrates than on the embedded Marantz internet tuner and a far better user interface than a 20th century style remote control with a poky little display.

You might also benefit from using the 'Network Standby' mode ( or whatever it's called on the latest machine). It remains connected to your network even when in standby making things a lot quicker.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
.... and I don't want to have to have a phone in the bedroom overnight just to work the radio.

Are you sure your MCR-603 came on almost immediately on Internet radio, not FM or DAB? I have tried the unit with Network Standby on, and it does speed it up, but it becomes unstable after a few days and needs a full restart. My 851N is a godsend by comparison but a bit pricey as an upstairs radio.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
splasher said:
Are you sure your MCR-603 came on almost immediately on Internet radio, not FM or DAB? I have tried the unit with Network Standby on, and it does speed it up, but it becomes unstable after a few days and needs a full restart.

I used my M-CR603 for four and a half years without fail (until just a few months ago when I eventually upgraded to a Quad Vena).

Nothing became 'unstable' on my M-CR603 after years let alone days.

Why do you think I did not 'upgrade' my great old M-CR603 to a new M-CR611? (Because, by many accounts the 610s and 611s are sh##e!)

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
My experience of the MCR-603 has been poor. I've had it a similar amount of time and it's never failed to be poor. To be fair, I had an NA-7004 which I suspect used the same streaming module and it was just as bad. Both wired directly to the router with CAT6 cable and a fibre connection. On Network Standby they would both start reasonably quickly but after a period (varied from time to time) they would start to stutter with short quiet glitches. With Network Standby off, they would work faultlessly but take 90s to form a network connection.

The MCRs are quite unique being small, all in ones with two sets of speakers posts (bedroom and bathroom) so I was thinking of changing to a newer one if it started quickly. I may get a Minx XI and wire it to a speaker selection switch in the wall as an alternative.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
splasher said:
My experience of the MCR-603 has been poor. I've had it a similar amount of time and it's never failed to be poor.

It's been 'poor' for over four years and yet you still don't get rid of it? Why?

I'd have had it back in the shop for a refund after a matter of days with the problems you experienced!

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Maybe that's why yours was good and mine was poor: yours realised it was straight back to the shop if it missed a beat wheareas mine realised it was with a pushover.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
splasher said:
Maybe that's why yours was good and mine was poor: yours realised it was straight back to the shop if it missed a beat wheareas mine realised it was with a pushover.

So my standard 'pep talk' to all new equipment actually works?

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
splasher said:
My experience of the MCR-603 has been poor. I've had it a similar amount of time and it's never failed to be poor.

It's been 'poor' for over four years and yet you still don't get rid of it? Why?

I'd have had it back in the shop for a refund after a matter of days with the problems you experienced!

Gosh Chebby, did all those ops make you think life's too short to mince words?

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Had a bit of a play with my 603 today after noticing this thread yesterday. From switch on to receiving internet radio, time taken varied between 13 to 17 secs. Seemed to depend a bit on which station the 603 was previously set to when turned off i.e. Arrow Rock (Dutch rock music station) was there after 13 sec wait, Radio 2 came up after 17 secs. Couple of others were in between those times.

I have Network Standby turned on, never had a need to do a full restart for anything.

If it's taking 90 secs then I would think something isn't right with it or the way it is set up.

Rich

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Rich. Like I say, if I put Network Standby to on it starts much quicker but at some point (a random time later) it plays up (and the same thing happens with radio and NAS streaming) and starts to put small half a second pauses into the sound. It sounds like it's struggling to get the data fast enough but the buffer shows its at 100% and like I say I've removed all its excuses but CAT 6 cabling directly to the router.

you can see on the two videos the difference between the Marantz and the CA startups.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Taken a look at your youtube clip. Has your 603 had the firmware update? Reason I ask is because yours is going through the 'Initialisation' process after switch on. Mine doesn't do that and if memory serves me well its something to do with requiring the firmware update (manual page 35).

You also mention 'Stuttering' and the closest I can get to that is from the symptoms on page 48 - Sound is broken during playback - - - Network signal transfer speed is slow etc. Have you checked your internet speed and 'if sharing' turned a few devices Off to see if it makes a difference. System Requirements are mentioned on page 8 and recommend 100Mbps or greater if connecting multiple devices.

Lastly if all else fails then maybe Reset the Microprocessor and start again (page 39)

Hope you get it sorted

Rich

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again Rich, I've tried all that and the same network connection streams HD video without problem so it's not bandwidth (as I say, CAT 6 cable all the way with a fibre connection).

i think I must have a house that doesn't suit first generation Marantz streamers because I found the NA7004 exactly the same.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Mmm, can't really think of anything else except to call Marantz Support and see what they suggest. Got their number somewhere but can't find it. Its probably in the manual or on-line though. Good luck.

Rich

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Guys, I appreciate the help. I contacted Marantz about a year ago, when I still had the NA7004 but they could only suggest the same things - resets, firmware upgrades etc. I got to the point with the NA7004 that I wasn't playing music through it because it was such a pain to use. I switched to Cambridge Audio for the streamer and it works like a dream both in terms of sound but also useability.

That's where things aren't quite so easy, though, with the bedroom box because I use both speaker outputs on the MCR - one pair for the bedroom and one for the bathroom - can't beat a soak to your favourite music. So while the obvious thing to do would be to go for the CA Minx XI, I'd really like to stay with the Marantz for that reason.

What I'm thinking is that the streaming module is likely to be very similar in Denon and Marantz kit of any given generation so the MCR603 and the NA7004 probably had the same module. In our house, we also have a 2013 Denon Cocoon in one of the kid's room and a 2014 Denon AVR in the sitting room which both stream from the NAS faultlessly so I reckon it's probably worth risking the new MCR611 for Xmas.

I'm surprised no-on with a 610 or 611 has commented. Given the good experience everyone else seems to have with the 603, I should get a reasonable price for it on ebay.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
splasher said:
I'm surprised no-on with a 610 or 611 has commented. Given the good experience everyone else seems to have with the 603, I should get a reasonable price for it on ebay.

I wouldn't expect to cover insured postage for my old '603 despite being mint and boxed and working perfectly. Shortly before the '610s superceded them '603s were being discounted for £199 so goodness only knows how far values sank after the launch of the '611.

I'm keeping mine as a 'spare' boxed up in a cupboard.

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the Denon Ceol N8 which I believe is more or less the same electronically as the Marantz MCR610, and it takes 8 seconds to boot from switching "on" to "hearing the internet radio", I did however recently reset my system by removing the power lead for several seconda as my unit needs this every now and again as it loses functionality, but its no big deal as most electronic goods need resetting every now and again in general *smile*

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

chebby said:
I'm keeping mine as a 'spare' boxed up in a cupboard.

did you replace the 603 with another compact all-in-one?

Snooker said:
I have the Denon Ceol N8.....I did however recently reset my system by removing the power lead for several seconda as my unit needs this every now and again

That's what I have to do but it bugs me because I don't know when it will strike and I can't be bothered resetting boxes if I'm getting ready for work in the morning so I leave it on Network Standby Off which effectively does a reset every start but means it takes ages. It doesn't have to be like that though - see the video I posted of the 851 starting - I've had that for about 5 months and not reset it once. I reckon the N8 and the 603 are probably the same generation and so suffer the same issue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts